Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New (Idaho Legal) Muzzleloader

Old 07-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Spike

Default New (Idaho Legal) Muzzleloader

Well, I drew an elk tag here in Idaho. Now I have to figure out what I am going to shoot. I have a Knight Bighorn which as it stands is no longer legal in Idaho ML seasons because it doesn't have a pivoting hammer. I am debating on trying to modify it so that it is legal or just bite the bullet and get a new gun that is legal.

If I do decide to get a new one, what do you guys reccomend I look at? Remember it will have to have a pivoting hammer and be able to shoot conicals effectively. Percussion cap or musket ignition only. I'd like to get it through Cabelas since I have a bunch of gift cards I've been saving up for a while.

How much do you think my Bighorn would sell for? It is stainless with black synthetic stock.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Default RE: New (Idaho Legal) Muzzleloader

Cabelas sporterized hawken or the cabelas traditional hawken are easy on the wallet and great shooters. Another that i'd recommend is the Deer Creek mountain rifle. I love those babies.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Lyman Great Plains Hunter with a 1-32 twist should be a good conical shooter. The Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 caliber and a roundball should also work. Then there are auction sites where you could get a T/C Hawkins or Renegade and see if you can get a conical load worked up, or just smash them close and person with a roundball.

Sabotloader will have some good ideas for you. He is an Idaho hunter as well. I think he is shooting a Renegade with conicals.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know if Cabelas has these or if they can get them, http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/default.aspx?item=news&news=pedersoli2&lan g=enThe Brutus 94 is the same as the Kahnke and Markesbery guns. I have two of the Kahnke's, one 50 the other 45. Haven't shot them a lot but so far they look to have the potential to be as accurate as my Whites. And yes, they do shoot conicals.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yoter

Congrats on the tag - i got my notice in the mail yesterday.... I drew a tag for unit 8-2 Nov 21 to Dec 31...

You are right... your bighorn will not work along with several of my plunger type inlines... I would not modify it things may change again next year.

I have decided to go with a side hammer. My side hammers can do everything one of my plunger type inlines can do so the heck with it I'll either use one of the Renegade 50's with a Bullshop conical or a Renegade stocke that I Green Mountain 50 cal SS LRH barrel installed on and again with a Bull Shop. I have looked at the so called legal pivoting hammer guns the Kahnke, the Brutus and one other but they in my mind are really sub-par inlines as compared to what i normally shoot - so it is the ole Renegade for me.

Truly, a good quality sidehammer will do everything that a legal Idaho inline will do and I believe they will do it better. The big thing is to get very familiar with the operation of the side hammer gun. The Bull Shops are easier to load than some sabots and they are really accurate. You loose a little trajectory and the bullet is slower but if you have hunted a lot of elk in Idaho you know you will be alright.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:11 PM

Wash the pickup for goodness sakes!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

You need to get a Great American Sporting rifle in 69 Caliber, No just kidding.

I second the lyman Great Plains
Old 07-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to take a look at the Lyman Great Plains and Sporterized Hawken at Cabelas in the next couple of days.

I am planning to shoot conicals, not round ball for hunting, so is the 1:32 twist ideal for these? I have only ever used sabots and power belts in the past.

Speaking of which, would the all lead power belt bullets be legal in Idaho? They have a piece of plastic at the bottom that acts as the "patch", so would they be considered an "all lead bullet" as the new rules require...?

Old 07-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Dominant Buck

The Lyman Great Plains HUNTER with the 1:32 twist was made to shoot conicals, and I have heard it will shoot sabots as well. I would get some Hornady Great Plains Conicals, and some Lyman Maxiball and that rifle should do just fine. Also since it is a traditional rifle, why not cash in on the .54 over the .50 caliber. You shoot a bigger projectile and for elk that might be a real bonus. The only disadvantage of the Lyman Great Plains rifle is they can get heavy, as they are a long barrel rifle. The Lyman is made by Investarms, the same people that make the Cabela's Hawkins. I have a Lyman Trade Rifle and it is a good shooter with roundball or powerbelts.

Also you can get a Lyman Great Plains rifle barrel and interchange the two for shooting roundball. If you get the Lyman, do yourself a favor and get a new stainless steel nipple for it at the same time. They generally need one.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yoter

I am going to take a look at the Lyman Great Plains and Sporterized Hawken at Cabelas in the next couple of days.
I personally do not like the GPH because of the length of the barrel... it is way to long for my liking especialy hunting in the timber and brush that we often end in here in Idaho. On the Great Plains it might be OK.

I am planning to shoot conicals, not round ball for hunting, so is the 1:32 twist ideal for these? I have only ever used sabots and power belts in the past.
The 1/32 should be just great for the conicals... Whites are 1/24 and the Green Mountain LRH is 1/28. I guarantee you the White and the GM barrel will shootconicals just fine. I am shooting conicals from a 1/48 TC barrel (without a QLA) ant it shoot the 460 Bull Shop or No Excuse better than I can shoot it.

Speaking of which, would the all lead power belt bullets be legal in Idaho? They have a piece of plastic at the bottom that acts as the "patch", so would they be considered an "all lead bullet" as the new rules require...?
I did e-mailed Power Belts (they are made in Nampa)and their bullets are considered a conical... but in Idaho you do have to use an all lead projectile.

If you do go with a sidehammer - try very hard not to get a QLA on the muzzle although there are people out there that shoot conicals from barrels with QLA's.

Quick Reply: New (Idaho Legal) Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.