Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New (Idaho Legal) Muzzleloader

Old 07-13-2007, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New (Idaho Legal) Muzzleloader

ORIGINAL: Yoter

Well, I drew an elk tag here in Idaho. Now I have to figure out what I am going to shoot. I have a Knight Bighorn which as it stands is no longer legal in Idaho ML seasons because it doesn't have a pivoting hammer. I am debating on trying to modify it so that it is legal or just bite the bullet and get a new gun that is legal.

If I do decide to get a new one, what do you guys reccomend I look at? Remember it will have to have a pivoting hammer and be able to shoot conicals effectively. Percussion cap or musket ignition only. I'd like to get it through Cabelas since I have a bunch of gift cards I've been saving up for a while.

How much do you think my Bighorn would sell for? It is stainless with black synthetic stock.

Thanks in advance.
This percussion was on another thread on this forum, Semisane was the author:

http://www.cherrys.com/ped_rif2.htm

I don't think you can go wrong for $225 fora new gun. Cayugund said they were good shooters. It would work in Idaho, since it is exposed hammer, with Caps (CCI). Chap Gleason

Old 07-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yoter: try http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/Lyman_Muzzleloaders.html

So I called Cabelas and they have a GPH in 50 cal for 530 and a 54 cal for 500. Which way would you guys lean? I will primarily be hunting elk and shooting conicals.

Of course I still need to get one in my hands and compare to some others.

Will there be any appreciable differences is velocity between the sporterized hawken carbine with 1:32 twist and the GPH with the longer barrel?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I called Cabelas and they have a GPH in 50 cal for 530 and a 54 cal for 500. Which way would you guys lean? I will primarily be hunting elk and shooting conicals.

Of course I still need to get one in my hands and compare to some others.

Will there be any appreciable differences is velocity between the sporterized hawken carbine with 1:32 twist and the GPH with the longer barrel?
The 50s have more bullets available (Bull Stop, GreatPlains, Buffalo Bullets, etc), also the PRB is not as effective a bullet as a conical.Given those two facts I would recommend a 50, unless your planning on shooting PRB, then go with the .54.
Chap Gleason