Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New (Idaho Legal) Muzzleloader

Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Spike

Default RE: New (Idaho Legal) Muzzleloader

Sabotloader,

Thanks for all the info. I am curious to see how long, and heavy the Lyman feels.

I hate to have to ask, but what is a QLA?
Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I hate to have to ask, but what is a QLA?

Quick Load Accurizor orQLA is a fake muzzle made for loading on Thompson Center rifles. Instead of fighting to get a projectile started into a tight barrel, Thompson Center expaned the end of the muzzle so the projectile has a start for loading. Many people do not like them and claim they can hurt accuracy. I personally have never had a problem with the QLA system, but some people cut them off.

As for the weight of the Great Plains Hunter, I personally do not find the extra weight of a rifle all that big an issue, but I suppose if I were climbing mountains slopes all day, an extra pound on the rifle might make a difference.

I have shot them as my friends use them. I personally find them a very comfortable rifle to shoot.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:38 PM

Basically, it's a funnel.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

A Lyman Great Plains in .54 would be nice, or a Santa Fe Hawken in the same caliber. If you think you have to shoot a conical or a sabot, the Lyman comes as the Lyman GP Hunter with a fast twist for elongated bullets. But a .54 RB will do a job on elk........
Old 07-12-2007, 07:36 AM
Spike

So I called Cabelas and they have a GPH in 50 cal for 530 and a 54 cal for 500. Which way would you guys lean? I will primarily be hunting elk and shooting conicals.

Of course I still need to get one in my hands and compare to some others.

Will there be any appreciable differences is velocity between the sporterized hawken carbine with 1:32 twist and the GPH with the longer barrel?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

I like the Great Plains
Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Yoter

So I called Cabelas and they have a GPH in 50 cal for 530 and a 54 cal for 500. Which way would you guys lean? I will primarily be hunting elk and shooting conicals.

Will there be any appreciable differences is velocity between the sporterized hawken carbine with 1:32 twist and the GPH with the longer barrel?
I would go with the .54. I just like the bigger bullets on bigger game. But the .50 will work with conicals or sabots.

I really don't think a longer barrel means much when shooting black powder or one of the substitutes as far as velocity or accuray are concerned. Two hundered years ago, it did matter, but back then it was because their powders ranged from excellent to unbelievably poor, and the long barrels helped make bad powder perform a little better.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Yoter

TRY MIDSOUTH SHOOTERS SUPPLY THEY ARE WAY CHEAPER.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Thats way to much. Try www.thepossibleshop.com
Old 07-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I find the 54 round ball has done every thing I needed on deer elk, and bear,it has also shoot better for me than any conicals have as well as flatter with in my hunting ranges[175 yds]. Lee

Quick Reply: New (Idaho Legal) Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.