Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got myself a dud.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:54 PM

Default RE: Got myself a dud.

I got him out today. I ended up trying the bolster packing method and while I could tell that the full charge did NOT ignite (I've shot 90g several several times) when I sent the ramrod down the barrel it had become unloaded. I assumed that the patch and ball much have been pushed out but I never could find either.

But now I happily have an unloaded ML and have cleaned the dog mess out of that thing.

As always, thanks for the help guys. I greatly appreciate you taking me under your wing.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got myself a dud.

When the rifle is empty, the ramrod will almost disappear down the barrel, and you're able to blow air down the muzzle and hear it come out the nipple of the rifle. Although some ranges will not allow you to blow air down the muzzle. So I have a little tool for that as well.

It used to be common practice with manyshooters, that after the shot we would blow down the barrel. This blew the smoke out the barrel through the nipple. This cleared any junk in the nipple out and allowed you to see if it was plugged. And the other idea behind this was any burning embers, and you would blow them out before dumping the next load. Ever dump your powder and see smoke still floating out the barrel?

Then I was at a public shoot one afternoon and saw the range master have a fit when a person did exactly the same thing that I myself used to do. So since it was forbidden to put your "mouth" over the end of the barrel, this little tool allowed me to do basically the same thing without coming over the line of the bore.