Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex in a Sidelock?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pyrodex in a Sidelock?

eldequello - have you ever noticed that mag spark to cause any damage to the hammer springs? I talked to a fellow at a gun shop that used one, and he said he would fire the sidelock and it would cock the hammer from the back pressue. The gunsmith "suspected" a weak hammer spring. He said this never happened until he went with the mag spark.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

the mag spark is nice but with cold hands or gloves on during the hunting season you have to unscrew the cap (and not drop it) to re-prime after each shot. i did notice when i purchased mine that they sell just the cover caps. i guess they already figured out your gonna drop and loose a few. all of my de-lay missfires with side locks i believe have come from firing off caps to get any gack out of the barrel.i was always told you have to snap a few caps off before loading. i dont think you have all the time. i believe the paper and primer debris gunk and clogs up the nipple hole and fire channel.now i just run the nipple pick through the nipple so you know it isint clogged up. with pyrodex you can hear and feel a crunching sound when the pick has a clear path to the pyrodex.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:43 PM

I was also getting a delay in my sidelocks with Prydex RS so I switched to Pyrodex P and reduced the load by 15% and it seemed to solve my delay problem. I am using a Hot Shot nipple with standard Remington #11 caps. If I could get some RWS 1075 Dynamite Noble caps I hear that they are great. Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

RWS makes a mean cap.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that it is probably not recommended, but on my sidelock, when I am actually hunting, I load the rifle, then take the nipple out and sprinkle a few more grains in under the nipple then replace the nipple. Never had a misfire/ hangfire in the field doing this. As stated, the Magnum CCI primers helped a bunch too.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Nothing wrong at all with seeding a nipple on a sidelock. I do it myself often, just for that little extra assurance that when the time is right, all will work well.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

rws musket caps rule!. my cci-s dont compare
Old 07-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

eldequello - have you ever noticed that mag spark to cause any damage to the hammer springs? I talked to a fellow at a gun shop that used one, and he said he would fire the sidelock and it would cock the hammer from the back pressue. The gunsmith "suspected" a weak hammer spring. He said this never happened until he went with the mag spark.
Well, it hasn't happened to me. I franky don't see how it could happen with a Mag Spark,as the hole in the bottom of the Mag Spark nipple is every bit as tiny asin a No. 11 size nipple. In addition, the back pressure would only push the primer up against the firing pin inside the screw-on cap. In my Mag Sparks, there is no evidence of the primer moving at all...... And I have used some pretty hairy powder charges with them!

However, years back there were similar devices that permitted the use of small rifle primers. I've used a couple of these, and one had a constant-diameter hole straight through under theprimer cut. I DID get hammer blow-back with this kind, with every rifle I tried it on. So I suspect the nipple design was faulty, not a weak mainspring.