Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Encore Pro Hunter

Old 07-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Spike

Default T/C Encore Pro Hunter

I recently invested in the T/C Encore Pro Hunter and I was wondering if anyone had any sugesstions onbullets, bullet size, powder, and powderweight that will produce great groups.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: T/C Encore Pro Hunter

Idont

but would like to welcome you to the site.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried numerous bullet/sabot combos in both of my Encore Pro Hunters and the T/C Shockwave 250 grain Super Glide sabots consistently seem to be the most accurate. Just this weekend I tried a couple different weights of Dead Center sabots and still the Shockwaves out performed them. I also pushed them with different loads of APP Shockey's Gold and Pyrodex pellets. The best load I've found thus far is a 250 grain Shockwave with MMP Sub Basein front of 130 grains of Pyrodex.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

First off welcome to the forum. You have one great rifle there. I am sure it will give you years of service.

As for the load, everyone I talked to says the 250 grain Shockwaves. They like to push them with about 120 grains of loose or 150 grains of pellets. I think this is one of those rifles that is made to shoot large charges, accurate.

I would start with 250 grain Shockwaves. I would use 110 grains of Triple Se7en 2f or 120 grains of Pyrodex RS. You might also want to try some Hornady 300 grain XTP's and see how they fly for you also. Keep us posted as what turns out to be the best load for you.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dcnoble_07

I recently invested in the T/C Encore Pro Hunter and I was wondering if anyone had any sugesstions onbullets, bullet size, powder, and powderweight that will produce great groups.
First, welcome. When I get a new gun I read what the Manufacturer says will shoot in that gun and then I try to duplicate it, since the gun usually shoots well with what the recommend. That gives you confidence that the gun is a shooter and that it is put together right from the factory. I then start experimenting with different bullets of the same wt (I like 300g over 250g since 300g tend to shoot thru a deer leaving an excellent blood trail) and shot them at the recommended load. My brother has an Encore (not the pro hunter but a regularencore) and it likes Harvester SabreTooth 250g with 3 777 pellets. Best wishes for dialing in your rifle and hunting this fall with it.
Chap Gleason
Old 07-03-2007, 07:54 AM
Spike

DC,
Congrats on the new Pro Hunter. Please do keep us posted on how your shooting turns out. I am looking at the Pro Hunter myself, well trying to decide between the Pro Hunter and the Savage 10ML.

Thanks, MOBH
Old 07-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mo_bowhunter

DC,
Congrats on the new Pro Hunter. Please do keep us posted on how your shooting turns out. I am looking at the Pro Hunter myself, well trying to decide between the Pro Hunter and the Savage 10ML.

Thanks, MOBH
Either one is a great gun that you can't go wrong with. If you can shoot smokeless in your statefor ML season,then I recommend the Savage 10ML since it can shoot that way and the Pro Hunter can't, also it is less costly the gun itself and also shooting the 10ML is less costly---you pay $21/pound for smokeless powder but only shoot 44g per shot with it, so you get 3 shots to every 1 shot you do with pyrodex or 777 in a regular ML. The feel of the Pro Hunter is better than the plastic stock 10ML, buy the Laminate stock if you buy one, I wish I had. 10ML will shoot a bit further with smokeless. Both rifles are about the same in accuracy, maybe the 10ML is 1/2 better at 100 yards, Savage advertises 1.5" groups at 100 and I was able to do that with the factory recommended loads.Either rifle is excellent and I am sure you will be happy with either of them.Best wishes in your selection and hunting this fall with it.
Chap Gleason
Old 07-04-2007, 04:37 AM
Fork Horn

Although I do not have a Pro Hunter (which I know has a longer barrel), I have the original Encore. 110 grains of ffg T7 with both the 300 grain Hornady SST's (for my caribou hunt this fall) and T/C XTP's in 240 grain have produced good groups. I have tried from 90-120 grains and 110 appears to be the best in my gun. Off a bench, I can produce solid 1.5" groups at 100 yards with this combo. Good luck!