Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Selecting My 1st Muzzleloader

Old 07-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default Selecting My 1st Muzzleloader

I've never owned a muzzleloader. I have shot them before though. This year I inadvertantly drew a Nevada unit 6 muzzleloader deer tag, so I need to buy one that meets the Nevada regulations and get practicing. Is anyone familiar with their regulations? Here is how they are worded:
1. May use only a lead ball, alead bullet, a semijacketed bullet or a metal alloy bullet that expands.
2. The use of smokeless powder is prohibited. Only black powder or a black powder substitutesuch as Pyrodex or Triple 3 may be used as a propellant. A sabot round may be used.
3. Wheel lock, matchlock, or flintlock ignition system, or a percussion ignition system that uses a primer or percussion cap.
4. Single barrel .45 or larger.
5. Open sights or peep sights. A sight operated by a battery, electronics is prohibited.
Can someone tell me a good muzzleloader model and load that is suited for these restrictions? I'd like to be able to put a scope on for future use.
Thanks much.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:47 AM

Default RE: Selecting My 1st Muzzleloader

Zim: Not to pimp my stuff off on you, but I am selling my Encore: http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6640

T/C's get the nod, especially the Encore and Omega. There's actually alot of decent muzzleloaders out there. The real issue is how much you're willing to spend. You'll hear votes for other makes and models as well.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

With the new T/C triumph out (or fixing to be in some cases), there seems to be a price reduction on the omega line. They come with fiber optic sights already in place and tapped for scope rings.

As for the triumph, I just got mine its its sweet. havent shot it yet though.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Dominant Buck

It would be nice if you mentioned a price range. Since you want to mount a scope on it, then an inline would be the way to go.

That Encore that Doegirl mentioned is a great rifle. They will shoot a sabot with extreme accuracy. They can shoot loose or pellets. They have a 150 grain max load in the event you need extra power for something really big, or extreme ranges. Plus there is the bonus with them of changing out barrels to modern center fire rifle barrels.

Some other rifles to look at would be the Omega, Triumph, Knight has a rolling block that came out, and a forum member has one. I have been waiting for him to shoot it and review the rifle for us as it interests me as well. Knight also has a rifle KP-1 that is their answer to the Triumph. I do not think they have hit the market just yet.

Also on some of the auction sites, there are good used rifles. Long Range Hunter, Disc Rifles, Wolverines, Bighorns, Black Diamonds, Omega, NEF Sidekick, and BPI makes some excellent shooters as well. The Apex, Optima, Kodiak, X-150.. again, there are lots of different rifles out there. All of them would probably do you good.

Since you are limited to no scope, you are at the same advantage we are.. you can shoot as far as you can see. If you wanted to really stretch that, then you need to get a rifle that will shoot flat. I would still though go with a .50 caliber over the .45 just because of possible future hunts you might take and for other reasons.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd also vote for something in the T/C line-up, especially if an Encore is in your price range! I have 2 Encore Pro Hunters and an Omega and they are all awesome rifles. I'd opt for a .50 call with something along the lines of a 250 grain Shockwave sabot. Good luck on your muzzleloader hunt!
Old 07-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am partial to Traditions, not to say that they are any better than the rest. Less expensive than most and my inline .50 cal shoots bang on at 100 yards. I also like the fibre optic sights on the gun and since you are going to be hunting with the irons I think they are a plus.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

I would go with the 50 cal also,you can shoot 40 cal bullets in the 50 cal very well but don't think a 50 cal would work in a 45 cal rifle.Unless you swagged them down to 45 cal.
I shot the 40 cal bullets in my encore and they were awesome.
Good luck on your hunt
Old 07-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

There are some great deals to be found on the T/C omegas since the Triumph has come out. The two new rifles Knight has out, the KP1 and theKRBare pretty nice as well and the KRB won't break your wallet as much as the Triumph. Whatever you choose, I'd go with a .50 caliber. Nothing wrong with a .45, but I've found the .50 to be easier to work up loads for and much easier to find bullets and accessories for.

Some other rifles to look at would be the Omega, Triumph, Knight has a rolling block that came out, and a forum member has one. I have been waiting for him to shoot it and review the rifle for us as it interests me as well.
I'm working on getting to the range. Was on vacation fora bit and now I'm getting caught up at work. I'm mounting the BushnellElite tomorrow andnext weekend looks like areal goodpossibility for some range time. I've got 4 different bullets to put through it. Hopefully, one or more willmake a good hunting load for the up coming season.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:48 PM

Anything T/C 50 cal. Omegas are pretty affordable and it's the inline I trust; better snatch one up from the Cabela's sale going on before you miss out
Old 07-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you want to scope it, an inline would be a good choice.
My experience with inlines is limited, but the most accurate I've owned was a Remington 700 stainless model. Sub 1" groups @ 100 yards consistantly! Next in line for accuracy was a T/C Omega, and it was a lot simpler to clean. I'm now shooting a Lyman Mustang and haven't really had time to play with it much yet. It seems to favor light bullets and heavier charges for good accuracy. To date a 250 grain Barnes Expander MZ and 100 grains of Pyrodex has been the best load I've tried.
I like the simplicity of the break-open action, but the pics recently posted of the Knight rolling block has me thinking I should look closer at it.

Quick Reply: Selecting My 1st Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.