Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Selecting My 1st Muzzleloader

Old 07-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Selecting My 1st Muzzleloader

ORIGINAL: Zim

I've never owned a muzzleloader. I have shot them before though. This year I inadvertantly drew a Nevada unit 6 muzzleloader deer tag, so I need to buy one that meets the Nevada regulations and get practicing. Is anyone familiar with their regulations? Here is how they are worded:
1. May use only a lead ball, alead bullet, a semijacketed bullet or a metal alloy bullet that expands.
2. The use of smokeless powder is prohibited. Only black powder or a black powder substitutesuch as Pyrodex or Triple 3 may be used as a propellant. A sabot round may be used.
3. Wheel lock, matchlock, or flintlock ignition system, or a percussion ignition system that uses a primer or percussion cap.
4. Single barrel .45 or larger.
5. Open sights or peep sights. A sight operated by a battery, electronics is prohibited.
Can someone tell me a good muzzleloader model and load that is suited for these restrictions? I'd like to be able to put a scope on for future use.
Thanks much.
Depends on what you want to spend there are many good ML out there. An Omega is an excellent rifle, as others have said and can be had for a good deal right now. I have one and they are an excellent rifle. I shoot 100g of 777 loose in it, but while I was learning , I shot 100g of pellets. I use Nosler Partition HG 300g for hunting and Hornady XTP 300g for practice, they both shoot about the same in the Omega. I use Harvester Crushed Rib sabots for $5 per package of 50 from Mid South Shooters supply. I just bought a Savage 10ML2 and that also is an excellent rifle, actually a bit more accurate than an Omega, the cost of that was about $550 for the rifle.
I also have a Knight Disc, thatis an excellent shooter also. I have Bushnell 3x9 3200 Elite Scopes with Firefly ontwo of therifles--theSavage and the Omega, some pictures are here of the Savage:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/this_is_my_savage_10_ml_page.htm

To help you in rifle selection see this:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/good_muzzleloader_2006.htmand this:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/most_accurate_muzzleloaders.htm

I hunted the first yearwith myKnight with open sights and got anice buck at about 100 yards with it, so they are capable with the open sights at 100 yards with open sights. Over 100 I recommend a scope, although your rules lead me to believe they may notbeuseable since they didn't say them explicidly. I assume because they said "primers" and percussion ignition that inlines are OK, but it it good to check with a wildlife officer to make sure, or check out the Web, theyusuallyhave some FAQ's.If you want to go musket caps in a sidelock percussion then I would go with a TCHawken:

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/mzTraditional.php

they are beautiful and accurate rifles. I have aFlintLock hawken that I use in Penna in late ML season, very accurate rifles with open sights. I use Speer Gold Dots 300g with Crushed rib sabot in that rifle and 70g of Goex. My shots are limited to 50 yards. Good luck with yourrifle, bullet, sabot, and powder selection. Chap Gleason