Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting benches

Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting benches

Thought I'd throw a picture of the shooting benches at the sportsman club I belong to. Effingham County Sportsman Club, Effingham Illinois. There are 16 of these benches made for both right and left handed shooters. I believe they got some money donated from the NRA. Berms at 25, 50, 100, 150 so on out to 500 yards. Up the hill they have a pistol range, bow range, skeet and trap fields, and a new club house. All for $45 a year. Can't beat that unless you own your own property that you can shoot on.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting benches

This is my shooting bench. I made this out of left over 4x4 post from my front deck. The rest of the wood is cedar that I cut on my property and then had milled at a sawmill my friend owns.

I just bought a new rifle rest, but that one is made out of some scrap wood and an old trailer jack I had laying around. The bench is on a set of small casters, so it can be pushed all over the yard to differnet ranges.

That is a nice shooting place you have there. And you sure can not beat the price.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

That looks like a very nice shootin' club, I'd love to have a place like that close to home. However, I'm fortunate enough to havemy own property so the only thing we needed was our own bench. We recently picked up a small portable shooting bench from Inventive Technology and it's been working out great! In fact, shotnearly 100 roundsthrough the Encores just yesterday!

I believe this Blackpowder shooting is starting to become addictive! Honestly, I never seen myself ever shooting a Muzzleloader this much! I think I'm starting to shoot both of the Encores even more than my bow! [:-]

Old 07-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

That's a nice setup. The TWRA has a public shooting range not too far from me that has a very similar setup. I love shooting there.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

Thought I'd throw a picture of the shooting benches at the sportsman club I belong to. Effingham County Sportsman Club, Effingham Illinois. There are 16 of these benches made for both right and left handed shooters. I believe they got some money donated from the NRA. Berms at 25, 50, 100, 150 so on out to 500 yards. Up the hill they have a pistol range, bow range, skeet and trap fields, and a new club house. All for $45 a year. Can't beat that unless you own your own property that you can shoot on.

Nice setup sjsfire. How did the 300g xtps do?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

The XTP's shot ok through my gun. I boughta pack of 18 at Diick's the other day. I have about 5 left after playing around. They didn't compare to the Knight Red Hot'sthru my gun. I'll just shoot the XTP's up next timeat the range. Those crushed rib sabots are everything their said to be, easy loading. I believe my go to load for this fall will be the Red Hots 250gr, crushed rib sabots, and 2 50 Pyrodex pellets. Pretty happy with that combo. I also think if I ever dobuy someproperty out in the country I'd steal the measurements off a bench like this and build me one. Other than not being portable these benches are the nuts.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

A good solid bench makes a big difference. I've posted this before, but here's the one I built for our hunting club lease.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

That looks like a very nice shootin' club, I'd love to have a place like that close to home. However, I'm fortunate enough to havemy own property so the only thing we needed was our own bench. We recently picked up a small portable shooting bench from Inventive Technology and it's been working out great! In fact, shotnearly 100 roundsthrough the Encores just yesterday!

I believe this Blackpowder shooting is starting to become addictive! Honestly, I never seen myself ever shooting a Muzzleloader this much! I think I'm starting to shoot both of the Encores even more than my bow! [:-]

You have some nice gear there IL-Cornfed, I like your rifle setup and your shooting rest and table--very nice and portable. MLer are very addictive, they are one accurate firearm, more so than a CF rifle at least for me.
Chap
Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Phoenix, Arizona we have Ben Avery. It is the largest outdoor range in the country. And believe me, just before hunting season starts, it gets very busy.

$5.00 to shoot all day which isn't too bad. The main range has target locations at: 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards-including free standing pistol targets. There is also a 1000 yard range, although I have never seen it. Ranges for archery, smallbore and skeet as well. So it pretty much covers everything.

Below is alink from their web site showing the main range (scroll down). Below that a link with an aerial view showing the various ranges.

http://www.basfaz.com/facility_information.htm

http://www.basfaz.com/Aerial%20Photo.jpg

A nice as this facility is, in all honesty, it would be nice to have the peace and quiet of my own property to shoot on.

~Robert