Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Aging eyes & peep sights

Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Aging eyes & peep sights

Took the T/C NewEnglander .50 out this evening to make some smoke & relax. I had some new (to me) 320 grain maxi balls to try out. Using 85 grains of Goex ffg and the maxis I managed to keep groups around 1.5" at 50 yards which isn't great, but with my aging eyes & distance correction contacts I can at least see the fuzzy front sight through the peep sight to place it on the target.
The maxis started a little harder than the Lee R.E.A.L.s I usually shoot but accuracy seems to be very similar. The NewEnglander is an older model without the recessed crown in the muzzle, but they are still easy to start straight as long as you pay attention.
I hadn't mentioned it on this forum, but my mother passed away last month and I've really been stressed the past few weeks with trying to keep my business (self-employed plumber) running and tending to all the extra load in settling her estate. I also decided to move my shrinking family (down to 3 of us at home now) into her house. It's small, but perfect for a family of our size. My father built the house in 1949, and it's where I grew up,but it's taken some remodeling to modernize it a bit. I'm getting things done slowly,and decided I need a break today. An evening of shooting good old black powder in the old sidelock is one of the best ways I've found to force myself to s....l....o....w down and smell the roses (even if they do smell like sulpher)
Old 06-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Aging eyes & peep sights

First off.. sorry for the loss of your mother. My sympathy to you and your family.

Shooting black powder rifles to me is one of the greatest stress relief things there is. When I shoot, I am actually a very relaxed person. That New Englander sounds like a good shooter. I hope the one I just bought will be as good. I am waiting on pins and needles for it to arrive.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:08 AM

Default RE: Aging eyes & peep sights

wabi...sorry to hear about your loss. Hang in there!