Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question for Sabotloader or anybody else in Idaho

Old 06-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question for Sabotloader or anybody else in Idaho

From what I understand you can use any type of muzzleloader on the short weapon season. On the Muzzleloader season you have use the new regs which are pivoting hammer am I correct? Also in your opinion are there some good areas around Boise for a general muzzleloader elk hunt? I live here in Utah and may have an opputunity to move to the Boise area. I own 3 Whites and several other inlines but if I did move I would lookinto one of the Kahnke. As far as I know these would be legal in Idaho am I correct? Any other input on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question for Sabotloader or anybody else in Idaho

bdeather

From what I understand you can use any type of muzzleloader on the short weapon season. That is the correct interpretation as I have read it, anything from Savage on down,

On the Muzzleloader season you have use the new regs which are pivoting hammer am I correct? That is correct also.

Also in your opinion are there some good areas around Boise for a general muzzleloader elk hunt? While I grew up in Boise, and it was great hunting as a kid I am not sure of what might be there now. I honestly can not believe that it would not be the same today in the Idaho City area or the Owyhee county.

I live here in Utah and may have an opputunity to move to the Boise area. I own 3 Whites and several other inlines but if I did move I would lookinto one of the Kahnke. Boise is a great area, it is supply town for the entire area. Hope you like a lot of people though because there are a lot of them there. Do not give up on your White's yet besides the short range seasons you can use them during the regular season. + I think the rules will be revisited.

As far as I know these would be legal in Idaho am I correct? The Kahnke would be a legal Idaho ML as well as the Marksberry. I did also corespond with Power Belt Co. in Nampa, Idaho - they indicated that their all lead bullets are also legal. To be honest with you and staying within the rules- instead of the Kahnke I would seriously consider a quality percussion sidelock. I am going to use a Renegade stock fitted with a Green Mountain SS LRH 1/28 barrel and 460 grain Bull Shops. It will shoot as well as any of my inlines could have in the old Idaho rules. The other part I consider - the Renegade is simple and works great...

Any other input on this subject would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have not spent that much time in Utah, but if you like trees, mountains, fishin and the outdoors - Idaho has it. The Boise area is a modern metro area yet still somewhat under control. It could be considered a big city by western standards but still a good city.

From Boise you can migrate to many good hunting areas - even make it up north here where it is really great.

mike