Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range math?

Old 06-22-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Range math?

I am going to the range tomorrow and have a question for the range rats. I am zeroed in at 100 yards with a 300g xtp with 100g 777 2F loose. I am going to play with 250g speers tomorrow. Assuming that bullet will be in the 4 inch high range, give or take, how much reduced powder charge will it take to get it to zero? 70-75g?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Range math?

If I'm reading your question right, you are assuming that the 250s will hit higher than the 300s with the same powder charge....

First, you are going to have to shoot the gun to see what is happening....But I would bet that the 250s actually
hit LOWER than the 300s, with the same powder charge and no change in scope adjustment....

I have seen this in pistols and muzzleloaders...Here is why I think it happens...

A 300 grain bullet spends more time in the barrel than a 250, so recoil has more time to effect the bullet, sending the heavier bullet higher than the lighter bullet...In other words, recoil kicks the bullet higher...This isn't usually noticable in a centerfire because velocities are higher...
Old 06-22-2007, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

If I'm reading your question right, you are assuming that the 250s will hit higher than the 300s with the same powder charge....

First, you are going to have to shoot the gun to see what is happening....But I would bet that the 250s actually
hit LOWER than the 300s, with the same powder charge and no change in scope adjustment....

I have seen this in pistols and muzzleloaders...Here is why I think it happens...

A 300 grain bullet spends more time in the barrel than a 250, so recoil has more time to effect the bullet, sending the heavier bullet higher than the lighter bullet...In other words, recoil kicks the bullet higher...This isn't usually noticable in a centerfire because velocities are higher...
Yes nchawkeye, I do not want to adjust the scope due to the fact that I plan to hunt with the 300g xtp. With all the posts regarding the 250g speer, I am interested in seeing how they group. I made the assumption that with a 100g charge, the 250 would hit considerably higher than the 300g xtp. I like horsing around with numbers so I was going to try to hit zero by manipulating the charge.

Your saying it should be somewhere around zero and not as high as I am guessing.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally think you will find that the two different charges hit approximately the same on the target at that distance. It will be interesting to see your range results.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

I shoot both bullets from my Ultra Mag, an Omega and 2 Remingtons, I do shoot 110 grains of T7 though and @ 100 yards i would be surprised if you saw dramatic difference. Maybe a couple of inches. The bigger problem might be left and right. The lighter bullet may set up different harmonic in the barrel causing the bullet to drift & then again nothing may change much you will not know untill you shoot it.

Look at this target shot with an Ultra-Mag... especially the lower left target shot after the gun was sighted in. The top 2 target were sight in targets....

Old 06-22-2007, 06:50 PM

25% less weight being pushed by the same charge will only have a 2 inch difference in POI? How can that be?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

The difference in Ballistic Coefficent's of each bullet - that will easily explain it a 100 yards
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 PM

Interesting.....I will setup 2 targets one for the 250g speer and one for 300g xtp both will be in same frame. same charge of 100g 777 loose. Will start with 300g and will alternate loads every other shot. I will shoot five each and adjust accordingly.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie
Which gun are ya shooting... should be and interesting experiment...

Here a couple of BC charts for Speers...

BC for a 250 Gold Dot-> .165
BC for a 300 Gold Dot -> .233
BC for a 300 XTP -> .200

Indicating that the 45 cal 300 grain Speer Gold Dot should fly better and flatter than the 300 XTP, which might make the difference between the two POI's even less....

Old 06-22-2007, 08:12 PM

I'll shoot a cva optima with shorter barrel (26"). I figured it would be best to alternate each shot vs shooting 5 of one and then the other. Probably will have cooler temps 8:30am tomorrow so the barrel temp should stay consistant. I'll use 777 primer and crushed ribbed sabot.

I guess I figured 25% difference in weight would make a bigger difference. I am looking forward to the experience. On your recommendation of the speer, is why I ordered them. I meant to order the speers in 300g but had a senior moment and didn't pay attention. I do have some 300g on order.

Quick Reply: Range math?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.