Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range math?

Old 06-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Range math?

oldrookie

The 250 GD is an excellent deer bullet and do not let the lower BC fool you to much. You can shoot this bullet very comfortable to 150/175 yds. without making big changes in the POA. The added velocity really makes a difference also.

When you look at the hollow point in the 250 you will get a better picture of why that bullet is so devastating. The leafs fold out and expansion stops and the weight behind the copper dot continues to drive the bullet into and through the deer. I hope you are not a heart lover... If you hit the chest cavity without hitting a major bone the shock of the bullet traveling through will liquify all the organs. Just a big blob of dark red jello.

Old 06-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

Here is a pic of some recovered bullets. These were shot into a saturated clay waterbar, then pick out of the mud.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:24 PM

sabotloader, those are impressive pics. Do you have any of the xtps? As far as distance, can't imagine many past 100 yards or so here. As far as placement, I have a bowhunters mentality; if I can't take out the vitals, I won't take the shot.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey oldrookie, just for your reference, here are two 100 yard targets from my Lyman Mustang - one with the 250 Speer and one with the 300 XTP. Both are 100 yards with 100 grains T-7 and the same scope setting and point of aim.

THE SPEER

Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

I do but you are not going to like them.... but you also need to remember that shooting mud - (saturated clay water bar) is not like shooting and animal in most instances.

The Hornady's I am showing you have all been stripped - the lead has been shot out of the copper for the most part leaving an empty copper casing.

The bullets on the left are the remains of the 300 grain Hornady and the right is the remains of the Gold Dots shot into the same mud waterbar...

Old 06-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

THE XTP

Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 PM

holy cow sabotloader! I didnt expect that out of the xtps. Do you recall if those were 250g or 300g for the xtp? I guess it doesnt matter.

semisane, I find it interesting the 300g xtp actually shot higher than the 250g speer. I would have thought it would have been the other way around.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldrookie

45 cal 300 grain XTP, not the XTP Mag- I really do not shoot the 250 grain XTP - it is to short for my liking, but there are a ton of people that shoot them and the 240 and really like them. I think I have had 2 boxes of 250'sin 7 years.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:25 AM

Boys you were right! I don't have pics to post yet, but did get to the range yesterday. Storms had moved through over night andI had a damp cool morning to shoot. Temps were mid 60s, humidystill high and wind was in my face.

I shot 10 loads of 250g speers and 300g xtp with 100g of 777 2f and 777 primer. Results: both grouped high about 2.5 inches. xtps were high left and the speers were high right. Sabotloader and others predicted this due tp bullistic co-something or another. It was eye opening and a fun test.

My biggest question now is do I setup for Indiana deer with a 250g or 300g projectile? Keep in mind most shots are in semi-cover and 100 yards max.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: oldrookie

Boys you were right! I don't have pics to post yet, but did get to the range yesterday. Storms had moved through over night andI had a damp cool morning to shoot. Temps were mid 60s, humidystill high and wind was in my face.

I shot 10 loads of 250g speers and 300g xtp with 100g of 777 2f and 777 primer. Results: both grouped high about 2.5 inches. xtps were high left and the speers were high right. Sabotloader and others predicted this due tp bullistic co-something or another. It was eye opening and a fun test.

My biggest question now is do I setup for Indiana deer with a 250g or 300g projectile? Keep in mind most shots are in semi-cover and 100 yards max.
closer range and semi cover, I would go with the bigger bullet. I just like big bullets. Although I hunt with roundball, when I have to go to a projectile, I like to push as much lead as I can down range. Maybe that is why I like conicals so much. It sounds like you had a great day on the range.

Quick Reply: Range math?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.