Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C 1X Hawkin Hunter Scope sighted in again

Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default T/C 1X Hawkin Hunter Scope sighted in again

As most are aware, I managed to fog up my original Thompson Center Hawkin Hunter 1X scope. I mailed it into Thompson Center and they replaced it with a new one. So I decided to see if I could break this one as well.

I mounted the scope to the rifle last night and then did a quick bore sight at 13 yards. The first shot was on cardboard but very low. So I made my first adjustment and got it into the red bulls eye at least.

I then moved the box back to 25 yards, made another adjustment and fired three for effect. They did all right but needed to move to the right, so we made that adjustment.

The third adjustment was a little better. It laid them right into the bull. So we moved the box back to 50 yards. My first three were high, which kind of surprised me, but did not upset me. After all it was in the 80's out there so heat could be a factor, the barrel was warming up good since I never swab the White Ultra Mag, and at 50 yards, the cross hair almost covers that 3" bull. So to test my self ANDthe rifle I aimed at the bottom 3rd of the bull and fired five more conicals. The hole was most impressive to me. I think I will leave it alone. Before ending the day I shot six of the 500 grain Bull Shop conical to see how much difference they would have in flight, and there was little to no change over the original 460 grain conicals.

I was loading;

70 grains Triple Se7en 3f powder
NO Wad
460 grain Bull Shop Conical
1075 RWS Dynamite Noble caps

Now I am waiting for a good thunder storm to hit and I intend to go out and shoot a few rounds to see if the scope holds up in the rain. If not it will be replaced.

These 1X scopes do limit your over all ability to see down range, but they make a great aiming device for me and perhaps others. We are not allowed to use magnification in our scopes during muzzleloader season, which is fine with me. At least this 1X gives me a good aiming point. The Thompson Center scope is very clear to look through and their warranty is impressive so far.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Default RE: T/C 1X Hawkin Hunter Scope sighted in again

Great job Dave, back up and shooting in no time.

Is that your go-to load in the U-M or do you prefer the 500 gr Bullshop? Also, do you shoot .5040s or .5045s?

I have really only had a minimal amount of testing. While I like the way the .5045s load (not as loose as the .5040s) it seems that the .5040s are a little more accurate.

Also, I have recently shot some Swiss 3f, but I have had a little more luck with 777 2f. I have never shot 777 3f, but will buy a pound at my next opportunity.

Sure wish I could shoot in my back yard, but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate it.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I like either of them, but like the 500 grain the best. Both are very accurate. I shoot a .5040 diameter. I find them easy to load, very accurate, and they do not fall out of the barrel like others have reported. Mine even shoots the .503 No Excuses real well. My rifle likes Swiss 3f, Triple Se7en 3f and Triple Se7en 2f the best. It also does real wel with Pyrodex P, Goex 3f, and Black Mag 3. The Triple Se7en 3f is the easy clean up powder and easy to find to purchase.

This last orderI got some .503, 504, 5045, in 460 and 500 grain from Dan. My T/C likes the .503 so I thought my knight might like them as well.

When I lived in the city, I owned 22 acres out in the country about 15 minutes from the house full of deer and grouse.. so I always had a place to shoot. But when I retired I wanted a range in my back yard and that's why I moved into the middle of no where. It suits me just fine. And you're right. It is nice to have.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:48 PM

After bore sited....he hits red on the third load! Show off.....I told you its not the arrow but the Indian.