Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

To do or not to do?

Old 06-21-2007, 12:50 AM

Default To do or not to do?

Need some help! Found a "new" cva mountain rifle that was built from a kit, never fired and is a flintlock in .54 cal. The rear butt of the rifle was carved way wrong and no butt plate. Asking price is $200 but i think thats a little to high for something that has a messed up stock. I offered $175 shipped, thats what i paid for a brand new mountain rifle some months back. If he says no, would you just bite the price he wants and take it for $200 or what?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To do or not to do?

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Need some help! Found a "new" cva mountain rifle that was built from a kit, never fired and is a flintlock in .54 cal. The rear butt of the rifle was carved way wrong and no butt plate. Asking price is $200 but i think thats a little to high for something that has a messed up stock. I offered $175 shipped, thats what i paid for a brand new mountain rifle some months back. If he says no, would you just bite the price he wants and take it for $200 or what?
FG, No. It is not worth that much in my opinion since he screw up the stock. $100 max you pay the ship. You essentially are buying a barrel and a lock for $175 and you can get a new Green Mountain for that that on sale right now, an L&R Lock is $110. I think it is way too much for a mess up stock, given that a new one is $200 and you can build it. If you want a new 54, just buyit from a kit and make it yourself,'cause you do beautiful work. Ifyou bought a replacement stock I think you will pay $100 for it so essentially you paid $275 for a $200 kit gun and you still had to do the work on the new stock. You did not say if you could recover the stock, I am assuming you can't, but I could be wrong. If you can recover the stock, then$175 is fair, since nobody is going to pay full price for a screwed up gun stock. Most guys like beauty and I recall the last one you build it was beautiful (if I remember correctly it was next to your hot tub). That is my $.02.Best wishes.Chap
Old 06-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Well whether or not you bite on the price is really a matter of how bad you want the rifle. I have paid more for a rifle then what others felt it was worth, only because I really wanted the thing. Sometimes money is not the question.

If the stock is messed up, then you are going to have to consider the fact that if you can not fix it and make it workable, you will have to replace it. Replacing stocks can get expensive. While the barrel, caliber, and lock would be appealing, I just do not know how appealing it would be.

Only you can judge if it is work the extra $25.00 to you. It sounds like the person that owns it has a set price in their mind and might not dicker it.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't pay $200 for a NIB CVA flintlock...It's just me though...

I love flintlocks, have two of them, both have Siler locks on them, I'm not
impressed with mass produced traditional muzzleloaders...

If you want a good, reliable flintock, save your money and buy a semi-custom
kit...
Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 AM

well the deal is done. Im the owner of a new .54 flintlock mountain rifle The mountain rifle in flintlock is just to rare to pass up. As for the stock, i'll see what i can do with it as soon as it comes in. The barrel and lock will swap out and fit my .45 deercreek mountain rifle. I watched a .45 flintlock barrel and the flint Lock go over $200 on ebay a few days ago, so im pretty much happy with this one. And a .54! thats new to me. Maybe i'll order a .58 barrel from deercreek too. Ahhhh now to stock pile powder and some bullets. .530 and a PRB sounds good so far. I'll let ya guys know when it arrives and take some pics.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:43 PM

Well, it turns out that the Big bore mountain rifle did not havea buttplate. So it looks like i am in the clear and the stock is fine. i'll more than likely strip the stock anyways and refinish it. As for the barrel, lock and trigger guard being browned, That may be coming off if i dont like the look of it in person.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

You'll love the .54, its all that's needed...Start with 75-80 grains FFF, I have shot as much as 125 in my custom .54, but 80 is plenty for deer...
Enjoy!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:49 PM

This is my new elk rifle! the .45 mountain rifle i have is my deer rifle. I'll pick up 4 or 5 lbs of powder next time im at the store and some .530 roundballs. Im really finding inlines not much fun anymore lol. As much as i love my winchester, these mountain rifles have a sweet spot in my heart. Theres 2 more percussion mountain rifles up for sale and man, its tempting lol.