Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Triumph

Old 06-22-2007, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: TC Triumph

I would say if the 223 PB bullets are accruate in your rifle they would work fine for the deer in your 75 yd range.I have shot more than a few deer with a 45 cal round ball,even shot one with a double ball load once.
Useing my ruger I shot 7 deer in 2 seasons useing a 185 gr nosler bullet all head shots from 25 to 70 yds,used a 225 PB out of a knight disc to drop one at 170yds,hit a little higher than wanted to took out 6 in of spine deer dropped where it stood.Took several useing 200 gr sw and sst with encore no problem from 45 to 100 yds,used a 195 barnes on one large 8 pointer at 100 yds bullet didn't open found a couple days later had shot through both shoulders,looked like a pencil hole all the way through,that was a stinking job sawing the horns off,haven't used them anymore.
I use a 250 gr sst in my savage muzzle loader at over 2400 fps,if I could get the 200 sst to shoot as fast and accrute as the 250 I would use the 200.
In one week this same savage muzzle loader shooting the sst 250 with same load dropped 9 deer,one doe,one 6 pointer,four 7 pointers,two 8 pointers,and one 10 pointer,the doe weighed the least at 135 lbs,were shot at 100 to 234 yds.ALL were complete pass throughs.No I didn't shoot all of them I just shot 4 of them.
Have used the big conicals in 45 and 50 cal side locks also but since the sabots came out I like them and the lighter bullets better.But the big conicals killed deer just as good.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 AM

Herman....I have to ask a couple questions. First is a rookie question; did you shoot the double ball load by accident or on purpose?

Second, can I assume NC is not a 1 buck state? What you described above would take us 5 years to pull off here in Indiana.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Years ago a lot of guys around here were shooting double balls.when I shot that deer<I don't remember the company thatcame out with I guess you would call it a sabot,it looked like a sabot cup in each end,you put the powder in a patch a ball.the double end sabot and another ball.I think they quit making them because they figured out they were dangerous??
Part of our state you can take 2 bucks and 4 does and part you can take 4 bucks and 2 does.For a total of six,and it is rumored that a hunter will be able to take more does this coming year by getting extra tags???Won't know untill the regs come out in july.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 AM

I might stock up on those Omegas cause they are on sale for like 250 bucks now that the Triumph came out. The Triumph looks like an other great gun but I don't find the need for it versus the Omega.