Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Triumph

Old 06-19-2007, 07:05 PM

Default RE: TC Triumph

I ordered a T/C triumph camo with the weather shield and recieved it today. I was able to handle one at the SCI show in reno and realy liked it. I will start out with the factory recomended loads and work up from there.The actual production ML is alot lighter than the one they had at the show. This is myfirst T/C ML. I have been shooting my Savage 10ML-II for about 4 years I believeone of the best muzzleloaders made.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

My outfitting business is sponsored by T/C so of course I shoot there guns. I have shot the Triumph before it hit the market. We tested it with alot of different load set-ups and My best results where with 150grTriple 7, a triple 7 primer and either T/C's 245 shockwave superglide sabot or Barnes tipped MT. Both shot the same bullet hole at 100 yards and 2 in groups at 200. Better than alot of rifles do. I only hunt with a muzzleloader and I've kill deer and elk out beyond 200 yards with the shockwave bullet. If you choose the shockwave, use the bonded bullet for elk and heavy game and the regular shockwave for deer. The bonded bullet will just punch a hole. It will kill it but it my run a while. Nearly lost a big Iowa buck learning this. Good luck, you will love the new T/C.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

Hornady SST's (shockwaves)and .451-.452 XTP'sare better bullets to start out with. Heck of a lot cheaper, too.
Hornady doesn't make shockwaves Thompson Center does. They do make SST's however but they are not the shockwaves. The XTP's are the pistol bullets originally.
Actually Hornady does make shockwaves and Hornady SST's. Shockwaves are marketed under the Thompson Center name. They are the same bullet, different colored polymer tip, and different sabot. If you try and load a shockwave in your rifle and it loads hard, try going to an E-Z glide, Harvester Crushed Rib, MMP HPH-24, or their three petal sabot. They will make hard to load bullets much easier to load.

When I first got my Black Diamond XR I purchased SST's. Broke the short starter that day trying to load them. Of course back then there was no thinner sabots on the market. Bought the T/C Shockwaves, and they loaded fine.

The XTP is their hollow point bullet Hornady makes. If they have a polymer tip, they are sold as a PTX bullet which is a H XTP but with a tip in them. We used to get them in bulk and they too were great shooters. You don't see them in bulk much anymore.

If I had a new Triumph, like Doegirl said, I would get some Shockwaves and some XTP's and try them with 100-120 grains of loose powder. I think you would have some excellent groups with that rifle and those loads.

While Powerbelts do shoot well in a lot of rifles, I think there are much better projectiles out there for the money. If I want to spend almost a $1.00 a bullet I would look at some Nosler Partition instead or something like that...

Just my opinions of course.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:34 PM

The XTP's pistol 45 cal .451 with the short black MMP sabots with 5744 powder shoots extremly good out of my Savage 10ML. It will be intersting to see how they shoot out of this new ML useing black powder of course!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: nvlonghunter

The XTP's pistol 45 cal .451 with the short black MMP sabots with 5744 powder shoots extremly good out of my Savage 10ML. It will be intersting to see how they shoot out of this new ML useing black powder of course!
Those Savage muzzleloaders are a very interesting rifle. That load you mention must have a very good velocity I take it? I bet that is a real deer stopper. Some day I am going to shoot one of them Savages. I have seen some of the groups you Savage owners shoot, and they are most impressive.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2006HighSierra

i hate loading the t/c bullets in my t/c. thats why i shoot 338gr powerbelt platinums. i don't have to beat the rod on a tree to seat the bullet.
You don't need to do that any longer, you can shoot the TC bullets in your TC, just switch the sabot out and buy 1 package of MMP #24 and 1 package of MMP EZ-3petal and 1 package of Harvester Crushed Rib sabot.
They are about $7/package, you then can get a good loading sabot, that checks the gases. However be aware of this rule

"the harder they load, they tighter the groups, but they have to load".

So choose the sabot that loads the easiest and shoots the tightest groups:

"ya gotta shoot a lot of different combinations before you find your best load/bullet/sabot with any given rifle".

If you a good CF bullet and like it's performance on game, find the corresponding rifle bullet in 45/70 (the are .458 in diameter)and buy some ORANGE MMP sabots. Work a load from the manufacturer recommended load (usually 2 Pellets of 777 or Pyrodex).
Chap Gleason
Old 06-20-2007, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Capt. Billy

If you choose the shockwave, use the bonded bullet for elk and heavy game and the regular shockwave for deer. The bonded bullet will just punch a hole. It will kill it but it my run a while. Nearly lost a big Iowa buck learning this. Good luck, you will love the new T/C.

I have heard this about the bonded bullet just punching a hole thrufrom several SW shooters. What has been your experience with the bonded and unbonded SW on shoulder or bone hits on elk? Will the bonded fragment on elk on a bone hit or will they hold together?
Thanks Chap Gleason
Old 06-20-2007, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

Hornady SST's (shockwaves)and .451-.452 XTP'sare better bullets to start out with. Heck of a lot cheaper, too.
Hornady doesn't make shockwaves Thompson Center does. They do make SST's however but they are not the shockwaves. The XTP's are the pistol bullets originally.
TC markets and sells the Hornady bullet under the brand name Shockwave. Same bullet, different sabot. Chap
Old 06-20-2007, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Chap,

Your message box is full.

I've shot two elk with my T/C with the bonded bullet. One in the ribs and is stop against the opposite side ribs and he ran 35 yards before running out of air. The second was ashould hit at 95 yards and it went threw the bone, smoked the front of the lungs and stop behind the shoulder on the opposite side and he ran 2 feet, straight down. But, on a whitetail that bonded bullet is like shooting him with a jacketed .223
Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Capt. Billy

Chap,

Your message box is full.

I've shot two elk with my T/C with the bonded bullet. One in the ribs and is stop against the opposite side ribs and he ran 35 yards before running out of air. The second was ashould hit at 95 yards and it went threw the bone, smoked the front of the lungs and stop behind the shoulder on the opposite side and he ran 2 feet, straight down. But, on a whitetail that bonded bullet is like shooting him with a jacketed .223
Good to know that the bonded hold up on bone hits. Thanks. I will get rid of some of my messages. thanks for informing me of that also.
Chap

Quick Reply: TC Triumph

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.