Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

looking to buy?

Old 06-18-2007, 05:07 PM

Default looking to buy?

Now that I am shooting on a regular basis, I would like to broaden the experience. I have been toying with the idea of something a little more traditional and maybe a percussion would be the next purchase. Any suggestions that won't break the bank? I think I would like a shorter barrel, light weight and primarily shoot round balls.

Any suggestions on what would be good to get started?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:30 PM

Default RE: looking to buy?

T/C Hawken, but if you were to hunt with this gun then I would go with conicals not round balls but if your just shooting then round balls would be fine in my opinion
Old 06-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a 54cal if I were you since you are getting a traditional rifle. A good one to consider is a Lyman Trade Rifle. You will have to scroll down a ways. The Great Plains rifles are nice but they have a longer barrel and cost more. Scroll down a ways and you will find the Trade rifles.

http://dnrsports.com/acatalog/Lyman_Muzzleloaders.html
Old 06-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Short barrel, roundball shooter, traditional style... Lyman Deerstalker (not the carbine because they are 1:24 twist). Another one would be a Tradition's PA Pellet. They come in flintlock and percussion. They also have a short then normal barrel.

Actually the Tradition's PA Pellet has a removable breech plug, will handle up to 150 grains of pellets, andare very reasonable.That is where I would look at.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Dominant Buck

If a 28" barrel does not bother you... then look at the used Renegades, Lyman Trade Rifles, or one of the Cabela's. But to keep costs down, watch the auction boards. You can get them for $150.00- $250.00. I like the Renegades and Trade Rifles. I do not mind that extra couple inches.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldrookie

Now that I am shooting on a regular basis, I would like to broaden the experience. I have been toying with the idea of something a little more traditional and maybe a percussion would be the next purchase. Any suggestions that won't break the bank? I think I would like a shorter barrel, light weight and primarily shoot round balls.

Any suggestions on what would be good to get started?
I bought a Hawken in FL from gunborker.com for $300 including shipping, a new one is $500. It was a great deal. I wish I had gotten a renegade, just because of looks---I like the plain look of the Renegade.
I got a 50 cal, but if your intending on shooting roundball at game get the 54, much better power. The TC percussion would be a great rifle in a Hawken or a Renegade. Hawken they still make, Renegades they don't, but there are a lot of them around. Fun to shoot. Good luck,Oldrookie.
Chap Gleason
Old 06-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=38508 might work out for you.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:26 PM

Im not sure if they are still made or not, but deer creek sells PRB shooters in .54 and .58 cal.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=38508 might work out for you.
I just sent a message to the guy to see if he still has it. Anybody familiar with this rifle?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oldrookie,
I can't be 100% sure but it looks like my Traditions Deerhunter carbine (50 cal.). If so it has a 1/48 twist. I have taken more deer with that rifle than any other. (I've had it for about 20 years or so)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.