Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Problems with new Remington Mod.700ML

Old 12-23-2002, 05:47 PM

Default Problems with new Remington Mod.700ML

When using Number 11 percussion caps the gun will not always set the cap off. I have taken the bolt apart and cleaned it,this does not seem to help. I have talked to three other guys with this gun,they have the same problem. Have also taken it to the remington authorized service provider in this area ,he has the same gun with the same problem. He suggested that I use shotgun primers. That is not allowed where I hunt. Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions

Edited by - AG#4 on 12/23/2002 18:52:17
Old 12-23-2002, 06:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Problems with new Remington Mod.700ML

I had this "problem" with mine the first year I owned it and I discovered that it was the result of me not putting the bolt back together correctly after I'd cleaned it (4 or 5 years ago). I seem to remember that you have to hang a couple of pins on the side of the bolt on the edge of a bench, tabletop or other 90 degree edge and pull it until the spring loads correctly. There are directions for this in the instruction book that came with your gun. Once I followed those directions I never had a problem again. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:10 PM

When I had my Rem. I had the same problem.Found out I had to use only the Rem caps {they are shorter}I tried cci and the german ones but they are a little longer>My friend also had the same problem.

Old 01-29-2003, 08:35 PM

I have a Remington 700 MLS thats about 6 years old now. I have never had a misfire (yet). I started out with #11 caps, then went to musket caps about 3 years ago, and have just bought a 209 conversion kit for it. Gonna shoot the 209s this weekend.

I was wondering if the firng pin for your 700 is set up for the 209 instead of a #11? If your pin has a tit on the face of it for firing 209s you might want to change to firing pin that is just flat like the original ones were. I'm not sure if you get two different style firing pins (one for #11/musket the other for a 209) with a new 700ML or not. You can order one directly from Remington that is original style (just flat) for #11 caps and they might even give you one if you tell them about your problem.

I would say if your caps are not junk, it has to be somewhere in the bolt or nipple and any gun smith should be able to find it with a little troubleshooting. I would not settle for just shoot 209s especially if you need to shoot the #11s. It should shoot just about all of the #11s reliably. You paid too much for that gun to settle for anything less.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Hope this helps,

Greg
Old 01-30-2003, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

AG#4,
Ive heard some of the earlier 700ml's had misfire problem that was attributed to a weak or corroded bolt spring.Friend of mine had 3 of them with misfire problems.
Assuming you don't have that problem - I would throw the freekin factory nipple in the trash and buy a "Hot Shot" nipple.They have 2 small holes in side.

I converted my CVA side lock and a Thompson inline years ago to a Hot Shot nipple using the # 11 cap.A big improvement with no misfires or caps falling off.I then converted my Thompson inline to Musket caps.Big differance,and very cheap to convert,just swap nipple and buy a can of Musket caps.

Good Luck - AL

Edited by - AJ52 on 01/30/2003 11:23:20
Old 02-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Over the last couple years I sure have heard allot of complaints about the Remington 700ML's.I have never owned one. A few years back I was going to buy one. A friend who works for a gunshop advised me against buying one.He has seen allot of problems with these Remington's.Instead of the Remington I found a like new Knight Disc. It's has never hesitated to fire. Even when sitting in rain all day. I would suggest selling these Remington's and buy a more reliable ML.I've used many traditional ML's using #11 caps and I think in the last twenty five years or so I've had maybe one or two misfires.The Ruger 77/50 ML are available with a Musket Cap breech plug for a more reliable source of ignition.Remington's reliability and quality sure has slipped over the years.
Ruger Redhawk

..... A Proud NRA Life Member since 1977 .....Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't had a misfire, hang or cap failure with my 700 MLS in 5 years and plenty of shots. I do know some of my pals with the 700 have had problems with caps using the CCI's though. I have only used the rem brand or the ones in the red tin. Also once you place the cap on the nipple try seating it more with your thumb. This was trick I learned when i owned a Gonic and it helped with that weapon, never have veered from that practice today. I would try the rem. brand caps and see if that makes a difference. Make sure that the nipple is free of oil or lube. Then possibly, get the bolt spring checked or changed, look at the nipple or possibly could their be a manufacturering error that tapped the breech to far or nipple???