Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hello, and question about Lyman Hunter Barrel

Old 06-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Spike

Default Hello, and question about Lyman Hunter Barrel

I'm new to the forum and am looking forward to entering some of your discussions. I have a question on Lyman's Hunter Barrels (1:32" twist)for their Great Plains rifle. I'm currently shooting a 17 year old Great Plains rifle which has a 1:48" twist. I have it set up with a tang peep site and fiber front site. I use it for elk and deer hunting in CO, no sabots allowed. The most accurate load I found justlatelyis aTC 430 g maxiball, and I have shot 2.5" groups at 100 yards using 82.5 grains of triple 7. Other bullets have not grouped anywhere near that well (Hornady great plains, maxihunters, buffalo bullets, powerbelts). That said, I have killed a number of elk and deer using GP bullets and powerbelts, but I havelimited myself to shots of 70 yards or less. This new maxiball load is considerably more accurate, and my range has just been extended a little.

What sort of accuracy have any of you got from the faster twist hunter barrel using heavy conicals like the maxiball? I'm toying with the idea of ordering a hunter replacement barrel from Lyman, but I'm not sure it's worth it at this point since the maxiballs shoot pretty good.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hello, and question about Lyman Hunter Barrel

greatplains

I honestly donot know what the addedlength of a normal Lyman GP barrel does versus the length of the Trade Rifle, but I can shoot heavy conicals very well from my 1/48.

I use Bullshop or No Excuse 460 grain .503/.504 bullets. I am partial but I really do like the Bullshops better...

I can consistenly break clay pigeons placed at a 100 yards with open sights off a portable bench and bags.

Here is a 50 yard targetshot with a TC Renegade. It was a testtarget trying to get velocities.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Well while I do not have a Lyman Great Plains Hunter, the 1:32 twist should shoot conicals real well. I would GUESS that the Hornady Great Plains, the Lyman Maxiball, and even some powerbelts SHOULD shoot well. Again, this is all a guess based on how my CVA 1:32 twist barrel does. Whether this barrel will extend your range a lot, I could not say. I would not shoot my CVA past 100 yards, but then it is a carbine. I bought it as a short range tree stand rifle (and just because I did not have one of these.. ).

If you're having good luck with your current rifle and a maxiball. I think you have all the elk medicine you need. I have a real liking for the 370 grain maxiball.

I do shoot a Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 caliber with a 1:48 twist and an excellent load is 90 grains and a 405 grain powerbelt. I really suspect that load would be elk medicine. Of course for Whitetail where I hunt, shots are not that long, soI hunt with roundball. It is all that is needed for deer under 100 yards IMO.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you should try some wads. They can make all the difference in the world in some rifles. I really like my Hornady Great Plains conicals. I shoot the 425gr in my 54cal Renegade with a 1-48" twist.

If I were you I would buy some over powder wads. They might make a big difference. Also try some other powders like Goex or Pyrodex. There are many things you can do before you buy a new barrel.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies. I'll try some wads and see ifthat helps. I started out using BP, then switched to Pyrodex a few years ago, just tried triple 7 this past week. I've killed two elk with great plains bullets and they performed great, but I could never get them to shoot a real tight group. Would be nice if wads would help them out. I may try to find a different front sight as well, I like the fiber sight for visibility, but at 100 yards it covers a large area, a finer bead wouldn't hurt.

Just for the sake of discussion, I started out using 80 grains of triple 7, then went to 85 grains with the maxi-ball, and got a couple of shots that re-cocked the hammer at 85. Never had that happen with BP or Pyrodex. Accuracy didn't seem tobealtered. Dropped down to 82.5 grains and all is ok, but that's a little lower charge than I thought would cause that to happen.....
Old 06-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: greatplains

Thanks for the replies. I'll try some wads and see ifthat helps. I started out using BP, then switched to Pyrodex a few years ago, just tried triple 7 this past week. I've killed two elk with great plains bullets and they performed great, but I could never get them to shoot a real tight group. Would be nice if wads would help them out. I may try to find a different front sight as well, I like the fiber sight for visibility, but at 100 yards it covers a large area, a finer bead wouldn't hurt.

Just for the sake of discussion, I started out using 80 grains of triple 7, then went to 85 grains with the maxi-ball, and got a couple of shots that re-cocked the hammer at 85. Never had that happen with BP or Pyrodex. Accuracy didn't seem tobealtered. Dropped down to 82.5 grains and all is ok, but that's a little lower charge than I thought would cause that to happen.....
Triple Se7en is a much hotter powder then Pyrodex or Goex. It produces about 15% more power then the other powder. I would guess with your rifle being the age it is, the barrel max is about 110 grains of Goex or Pyrodex, so you are pushing near the max load "allowed by the manufacturer."

The fact it is cocking the hammer back when it shoots, I would suspect that over the years age has weakened the hammer spring. Perhaps a hammer job might be in order, or you can just shoot it that way. I have an old Renegade that does the same thing when I shoot Triple Se7en so I always shoot Pyrodex out of it. At least you know the fire channel is nice and clear. If it can back pressure that much to cock the hammer there is nothing in there.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Sharp Shooter,

I think you should try some wads. They can make all the difference in the world in some rifles. I really like my Hornady Great Plains conicals.
I seem to always be learning something in this forum (thankfully). I've wasunder the impression that you used wads under flat based bullets like the Lee REAL, but not under hollow bases like the Great Plains. I guess I got thatwrong!

You can bet I'll be trying some wads under the GPs in my next range session.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Semisane, that was how I always viewed conicals and wads as well. I never wad a hollow based conical. I have corn meal buffered them, and even filled the hollow base with lube which did help with one rifle. Although it would be worth a try.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wonder how a wad, then about 10 grains cornmeal, then a GP would work. Might have to try that too.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Spike

Interesting, it's been a while since I picked up a great plains bullet, forgot they are hollow based instead of flat based like the maxi-ball when I mentioned using a wad under one. We'll see if Sharp Shooter or anyoneelsehas any thoughts ona wad under a hollowbase bullet. Hadn't heard of the cornmeal bufferbefore. I recovered a maxi-ball I shot last weekend, impressive how distinct the rifling marks are on the bottom band. You'd think a hollow base bullet like the GP would expand and grip the rifling even better making for an accurate round.

It's been a few years since I have shot any GP bullets, or buffalo bullets, may have to pick some upgive them another chance. Neither of the elk I hit with the GP bullets took another step, if I could get them to shoot as well as the maxi-ball's, I'd probably use them. It's been long enough since I shot the GPbullets I don't remember if I was cleaning the barrel between every shot or just between every 2-3 shots,waiting toclean the bore until loading the next round became difficult to load.I clean the barrel now between every shot while at the range. What I do remember about the GP bulletsis 3-4" groups at 50 yards, hardly tack drivers. I started shooting powerbeltsand the groups tightened, but there would be an occasional flyer.Shooting Maxi-balls has tightened up group size a bunch, with no more fliers.But it would be nice if there were anotherbullet or twothat would shoot that well from this gun,always nice to have more options. Triple 7makes getting a clean bore easier at the range between shots, maybe that'll help out the great plains bullets.

Quick Reply: Hello, and question about Lyman Hunter Barrel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.