Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hello, and question about Lyman Hunter Barrel

Old 06-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hello, and question about Lyman Hunter Barrel

greatplains

Not to beat a dead horse, but if you ever get a chance I would suggest that you try some of those Bull Shop bullets. Those conicals are slip fit, no short starter needed, and they are a flat base. The 460 Mt NEX have a very good BC for a full bore lead bullet and they shoot extremlywell. I do use a shot card wad under mine a .125x.510 card. I beleive Cayugad shoots them with out a card also and we both have had great results from a 1x48 twist barrel. I think mine actually prefer the heavier bullet as I have never gotten the light great plains or TC conicals to group as well as these.

Here is a BC chart that shows some of the possibilities with the 460

Old 06-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not know about wads under a HB conical. You have nothing to loose if you try it. By the way, what caliber is this? Sorry I missed it.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, I'll do a little more experimenting and let you know. I'll check into the Bull Shop bullets. May run into trouble with the legality for using them for hunting in CO, regulations restrict bullets to benolonger than twice the diameterduring the muzzleloading season. PS, the rifle in question is a .54 cal.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Were you shooting the 425gr Hornady Great Plains? I am not sure the bull shop's will work for CO. Just buy some conicals and see what you can do. Hopefully you get the GP conicals shooting well.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

greatplains

May run into trouble with the legality for using them for hunting in CO, regulations restrict bullets to benolonger than twice the diameterduring the muzzleloading season. PS, the rifle in question is a .54 cal.
They will be legal in CO... we did check that. They are short of being one inch long.

.54 cal is a different story... the bullets are still legal by length but the selction is some what limited...

No Excuses does build a .540/535 grain bullet that will also work in CO. BUT! they are to small for 54 cal Lyman Trade rifle - they drop right to the bottom... I, of course do not know about your barrel, it may work just fine. Dave also has no problem with you shipping them back if they do not fit, might have him send you a few to check with.

http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/index_files/Page319.html

Bull Shop, Dan has just begun building 54 cal conicals and he has a far better selection in weights and sizes for the 54. I would suggest you e-mail him he might even send you a few to try. He is making a .541/2/3 400 grain bullet that looks awful good. And they would also be CO legal. Dan is a great guy he will really work with you.

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/

mike
Old 06-17-2007, 05:34 PM

Bullshop does make an excellent bullet. I ordered some .500" bullets for my muzzleloader and could load them with just my thumb. After some fumbling around, i find that they shoot best with a wad over the powder.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

I just shot some of the BS 460gr's (sized at .503) in my Lyman GPH at 50 yards. I shot a 1.5" group which is pretty darn good considering my retina in my right eye is fubar'd. Shot 70gr's of T7 3f with a lubed wool wad.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

The bullet I measured was 0.9665 in length. The BS's did load very easy, no short starter needed yet they still engraved the rifling.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm still waiting on my shipment of BS 460's so I can't comment on those yet. I have shot the 460 No Excuse's in my GPH and they shot very well with 70gr of 777 3F and no wad. Some of it was probably the peep sight set up I have on the rifle but I shot a .28" 3 shot group with that load at 75 yards. I plan on trying the same thing with the BS bullets when they arrive. Nimrodder, you might try them without the wad to see if it makes a difference.