Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How did you do in the draw?

Old 06-01-2007, 08:21 PM

Default RE: How did you do in the draw?

Elk is great, But when you throw a buffalo steak on my plate, im reaching for the buffalo lol. We're going to do some scouting in August so i'll let you and chap know how it looks. I know my dad seen a heard of 50 elk in october, laying right in a field by the road. Im not sure what the lay of the land looks like up there but i'll be sure to get pics and info for you guys. Even for deer hunting, i could point out an excellent spot in unit 35 and its only a 45 second walk to the hunting spot.. That spot is amazing. Took 2 deer out of there last year and also a third but my dads rifle misfired.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

WOW!! that is a very generous offer Frontier Gander. I still have a few things going on at home so this year is out of the question, but I do intend to hunt elk before my legs finally do not allow me to do it.
Cayugad,
There are guided hunts out there (see URL above) that are no horses and little walking, the hunt I am going on is not that physical--I asked. I can't be climbing mile high mountains and carrying hundreds of lbs of elk quarters miles and miles. 25 years ago sure, but not now. I walk a lot but am overweight by 70 lbs from what I graduated from HS, so I can't do the "mountain climbing" like I could do thru my 30 and 40. I just want the experience of shooting an elk with a ML in Colorado, so I am gonna do it before I die.I figure do it while I am still working, since when I retire (hopefully in 3 yrs), I doubt if I will have the funds, i.e. will have enough to live, but not a lot extra to use $4,000 or $5,000 for a hunt.
Chap

Old 06-01-2007, 08:36 PM

You'd be suprised at how little walking you have to do when you find the right area. Most of the time you can get by driving your truck on the blm roads. I like to take off into the deep timber on foot though just to see whats over the next hill. Gotta see the land to experience elk hunting at its fullest!
Old 06-02-2007, 01:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

White River NF is a beautiful place. I have hunted there. I also hunt around Paonia. I have to agree with Frontier. with a little bit of time, and work the BLM's are a great place to hunt for a great price, and the terrain is suprisingly accessible. Where we hunt near Paonia on the BLM you can ride 4-wheeler's. 11,000 feet is no problem with a Kawasaki. I know it is not traditional, and it is not a horse, but it sure is a blast.

For $4,000 you could almost hunt bull's in New Mexico. And the tags are easy to get. I hope you see some nice bulls in CO for $4,000. Tom.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:52 AM
Spike

Cayugad, you might also try Colorado's DOW site in the next few months for the leftover license list. Once the main draw is over, they have a leftover draw for those who did not draw their tags, then they put all the ones leftover after that for sale to the public in August. Last year, they had 960 leftover cow tags for 1st rifle alone in the units I hunt. Or you can always buy an over the counter tag good inmost units for 2nd & 3rd rifle seasons. The leftover tags are usually the best.The units wehunt had a 43% and 38% success rate last year for cows and is allnational forest.You will usually need to geta ways offthe main roads to see elk, but they do respond to bugling even as late as November. If like us you can't afford $4k for an elk hunt, you might try The Big Game CD ($50 from DOW's site). It'll tell you success rates, herd sizes, points needed, tips on where to hunt in a particular unit for deer & elk, it'll even tell you what units usually have leftover licenses. The biggest key I have found is to do your research, then some scouting. Even if you just came out a few days ahead of opening day.
Get on DOW's mailing list so they will send you the big game brochure in February, that will tell you all you need to know about drawing a tag next year. Or if you pm me your address, I'll be happy to mail you an extra I have for this year.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Well this year is still out of the question. I am aiming more towards next year and I do want to do it with muzzleloader. But I thanks you for the information and offer. I have e-mailed the Department of Wildlife for information reference elk hunting. So I guess I am starting my research part. Thanks for all the information. Until then I will be in the back yard shooting down range...
Old 06-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

I got a ML statewide cow tag (didn't draw for a bull even tho I had a PP)
as a second choice. I got a doe tag (ML season) for unit 62
In our group of 4 we got 2 bull tags, 2 cow tags1doe and 1 buck.
Looks like it took 2 preference for a statewide ML bull tag.

I hunt CO every year and it never costs me more than $1000.
Cost of license and gas are the biggies. Hunt public land and camp in a tent. We drive about 1300 miles. I too am a senior citizen but its easier than you think.

I have hunted the white river national forest numerous times. It is very crowded even in the widerness area's. I lot of those area's takes quite a
few PP to get a bulltag for ML season although they are over the counter for 2nd rifle season.

There usually are no left over statewide ML tags forbull or cow.

Guys take frontier up on that offer it doesn't happen very often.

I plan on using my White U-M in .504. I know what it can do on a elk

Redclub
Old 09-21-2007, 08:10 PM

this year is another year for either sex tags we have neaver not got tags for first rifle season hunting white river near meeker
mike 10. years