Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sabot/bullet selections

Old 06-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default sabot/bullet selections

I was cruising on the Midsouth web site and I'm interested in trying the Harvester Crushed Rib sabot for 45 cal bullets in my 50 cal CVA. The main question here is...I looked at the bullets in the reloading section and I'm seeing "pistol" bullets of all makes in .451 diameter. Is it possible and safe to buy the sabots I want to try and use the pistol bullets? Or will the bullets for a pistol be too short? What do you guys use if you mix and match your sabots and bullets? I've used the 250 gr Barnes MZ Expanders, they group really well but they load hard. Thought I'd try some of the Crushed Rib Sabots for $5.11 per 100 and some of the bullets I'm seeing are 100 for around $20.Thanks.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sabot/bullet selections

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

I was cruising on the Midsouth web site and I'm interested in trying the Harvester Crushed Rib sabot for 45 cal bullets in my 50 cal CVA. The main question here is...I looked at the bullets in the reloading section and I'm seeing "pistol" bullets of all makes in .451 diameter. Is it possible and safe to buy the sabots I want to try and use the pistol bullets? Or will the bullets for a pistol be too short? What do you guys use if you mix and match your sabots and bullets? I've used the 250 gr Barnes MZ Expanders, they group really well but they load hard. Thought I'd try some of the Crushed Rib Sabots for $5.11 per 100 and some of the bullets I'm seeing are 100 for around $20.Thanks.
That is EXACTLY what I do. I use the Crushed Rib Sabot, they are 50 to a package for $5.11 and I buy bulk pistol bullets. I use the Hornady XTP/Mag 300g and the Speer Gold Dot 300g. Let me give you theexact URLs, since Ikeep them in my "wish list" for future purchases.

Gold dot:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000213974

Crushed rib:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00072H15045BR

Nosler Partition (very expensive, my hunting bullet I have 50 left and will shoot this year in my in-line BP guns):
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0011545350

Hornady Mag Pistol bullet:
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000345235

I shoot exclusively 300g since they penetrate and go thru a deer, the 250g and under don't shoot thru a deer in general, but a 300g does.
Hope this helps. Chap
Old 06-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used pistol bullets for many years. I like gleason.chapman buy my bullets in bulk (300g XTps) and then buy the Crush Rib sabots. Every ML I have loves them. And they sure put a world of hurt on deer without hurting my wallet.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:30 AM

I use the harvester crushed sabot with the hornady xtp in both 250 and 300g. The sabot that applies to those bullets would be black in color.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Same here, I just ordered four more packs of them in both the .452 & .430 size since I was rinning low. I load a number of bullets with excellent results. The Hornady 240 & 300 grain in both diameters being the .44 & .45 caliber. I also shoot Hornady HP-XTP 300 grain. They shoot real well. Then there are Speer Gold Dot in a number of different sizes.

So the selection is huge. Just remember to look for the caliber and diameter before you purchase.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the responses. I'm really impressed with what I read and what I've shot in the 250 gr Barnes Expander MZ. I like the fact that they are all copper, expand into a nice size petal, and retain it's weight. I think they would make a excellent deer load. Like I said, my CVA groups them real well but I'd like to try the Havester Crushed Rib sabot with them. I don't own a caliper set, does anyone know what the 50 cal Barnes measure out to? The ones I bought of course came with the sabots. I'm not sure if they are a 44 cal or a 45 cal.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:13 PM

sjsfire: diameter of 250 grain Barnes Expander is .451.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

Thanks for all the responses. I'm really impressed with what I read and what I've shot in the 250 gr Barnes Expander MZ. I like the fact that they are all copper, expand into a nice size petal, and retain it's weight. I think they would make a excellent deer load. Like I said, my CVA groups them real well but I'd like to try the Havester Crushed Rib sabot with them. I don't own a caliper set, does anyone know what the 50 cal Barnes measure out to? The ones I bought of course came with the sabots. I'm not sure if they are a 44 cal or a 45 cal.
sjsfire, I wanted to bump this to the top. Have you had a chance to use the crushed sabots with the Barnes?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:57 PM

I use the XTP pistol bullets 250 grains in a green sabot (no name brand buy in bulk bags). I get great accuracy with this setup.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

I use the XTP pistol bullets 250 grains in a green sabot (no name brand buy in bulk bags). I get great accuracy with this setup.
Yep, I like the xtp but shoot mostly the 300g with the crushed sabot. I was interested in how the sabot did with those Barnes he was going to try out.

Quick Reply: sabot/bullet selections

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.