Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need some ideas

Old 05-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need some ideas

While I'm spending time up in colorado on a job I decided to check out a Rondy this holiday weekend. While there I was able to enter the drawoing they were having and was drawn as one of the winners. Unfortunately, I didn't win the Traditions flintlock that was on the table, I did end up withtwo small bottles, one with mutton tallow and the other with bear grease.

My question is, what types of uses have you guys found for these two lubes? Any recipies that they can be used in? Any and all thoughts/uses greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:00 AM

Default RE: Need some ideas

What rendezvous did i miss out on?!! Bear grease, mountain men used to use for patches and of course, lube to keep rust off their rifle.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was the colorado springs muzzleloaders memorial day weekend shoot held down in Florence. I heard about it a few days ago online and found enough info to find the place and check it out. It wasn't a large rondy but included flint, perc., smooth and rifled as well as some pistol and cannon competition. It started raining just as the MM run started and a few dropped out at that time. I think they ended up with about 5 men and 3 or 4 boys participating in the run. Cool thing was all the boys were able to get a fire going with flint and steel even under the wet conditions, it just took a while for everyone involved. It seemed like a good bunch of folks.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Bear and Mutton tallow makes good patch lube. You can melt it down and add a little bees wax if it is too thin, and it will work into a patch.

I have the word out to the bear guides up here that when they butcher bear for clients, save me some of the leaf lard off them bears. I want to render it down and have some uses for it. For those that have not used it, rendered leaf lard off a bear is excellent for cooking. Render it twice as they say, once to get the stink out of it and once more to make it pure as snow.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow...you guys are pretty hardcore! I am happy to just use the pre-lubed patches.

~Robert