Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got a question

Old 05-20-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Got a question

I just finished shooting 3 shots with the .45 @ 100 yards with 80 grains triple 7 " 92 grains if you add 15%" and a 285 great plains bullet. First shot was dead center but 7" high. Next two shots were to the a couple inchs to the right of the black circle and dead center. Whats with the first shot? With the first shot being that high, that would be perfect out to 150-155 yards. #2-3 Shots measured 2" which im fine with for now, but #1 shot worries me.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Got a question

If the first shot was from a squeaky clean barrel, it could well be higher than following shots from a fouled barrell, even with swabbing between shots. I find this is more likely, orat least more pronounced,with conicals than with sabots.

I like 5-shot groups. They tend to tell the whole story. Two more shots might have grouped with shots #2 & #3, or they might have been up there with #1, or halfway between. At least you'd know.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:38 PM

I took 6 total shots @ 100 with the 45. I should have also considered i was aiming at the top of the black circle. Its Exactly 5" high on #1 shot and the next 3 drop down right where i want it and shoot a tad to the right. #5 was thrown off from the wind and #6 shot i aimed more to the left to see if i could get it in the black, Took it over a hair to much. But im happy with the groups, Im sure i could tighten them up a bit with a wad, which i will try later in the season. But for now, the 45 is ready for its first hunt.

X-150 did okay, i had no felt wads so i knew it wouldnt group very tight, 2 1/2" group with 2 shots. The 3ed shot missed the target and hit a rock that was right next to the box. With a wad, i could easily get those groups to shrink in half. The BS bullets in my rifle like wads so i'll just have to stock up on those too. Now my last shot and only bullet left was a 350 grain BS, both the 385 and 350 shots were with 80 grains triple 7, The 350 shot excellent but a little low. I'll deff. have to adjust my sights up once i get some more BS bullets in but thats no big deal. Really love how the load.

So the 45 is done and ready for septembers muzzy season. The x-150 i'll need to do a little more fine tuning and get these 385's on sight. I'd like it atleast 1" high @ 100 yards.

Now the fun part. Time to go clean them both.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like dead deer to me!