Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cap N Ball Revolvers

Old 05-16-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Cap N Ball Revolvers

I've been thinking of getting one of those old Navy Colts. But I've never shot black powder before so not sure on loading one. Or what to expect either.

Any Ideas or anyone with experience with one. Fill me in please. Thanks,
Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cap N Ball Revolvers

They can be a lot of fun to shoot. Loading is easy. The steel frame guns hold up better in the long run.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

If you want a Colt Navy or Colt Army pistol, you'll likely be looking for an Italian made reproduction pistol. The quality of these guns range from good to best. Uberti is generally considered being ofbest quality, but Pietta's quality has improved such that it is near or equal the Uberti guns but with better prices. There are other good or better makers, and, there are many many of these pistols on the secondary market that can be had for a bargain. Cabela's has a good selection and most or all of their's are made by Pietta. Several other firms import some very good repros made by either Uberti or Pietta.

Whether you select a steel framed or brass framed is a personal choice. The brass framed are more available and usually lower priced. Some will say you should avoid brass framed because the steel framed are more sturdy, and that may be true if you're competing or loading power loads. But, I've had a couple of the brass framed that I've shot for some time and I've never had a problem. So, I'd say if you're looking for something to just have a little fun with, you'd be OK with a brass frame. However, these pistols are quite capable of being used for hunting or competition. With a little effort working on the accuracy, you could be hunting small game and having a lot of fun! Also, these pistols have found new life due to the popularity of Cowboy Action Shooting, where they are used in competition. (See http://www.sassnet.com/index.php for imformation and visit the links for companies importing these pistols).

One of the most important things to look for, when you're considering purchasing one of these pistols, besides the overall condition, is the indexing. You need to draw the hammer back and make sure the cylinder revolves and locks with the nipple properly situated under the hammer. If the indexing is good and the pistol sounds and feels like it is functioning properly, you can go from there.

When you have purchased one of these pistols, it is important to learn how to properly load and fire them. It's not difficult, but it is important that you do it right so as not to destroy your pistol or injure yourself!

Equally important is how to clean these pistols. They definately must be cleaned and lubed for function and maintenance.

When you've got your pistol, come on back here and ask questions. The people on this board have all kinds of tips and tricks. For just about any problem you run into, someone here will know something about it.

Good luck and keep your powder dry!

Old 05-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I have the Rem 1858 Army SS.44calby Pietta.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Number one rule with these guns....Don't forget to put grease over the balls...
Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

If you don't have grease, pack it with Creme of Wheat. It's a trick my uncle uses in his Civil War outings and he has never had a chain fire.