Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

25 yards, 70 grains Pyrodex RS, PRB

Old 05-16-2007, 11:43 AM

Default 25 yards, 70 grains Pyrodex RS, PRB

That's a 3 shot group even though it looks kind of like a 4. Would you guys recommend changing anything at this point? Sorry to keep asking newbie questions but I don't have anywhere else to turn hehe.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:45 AM

Default RE: 25 yards, 70 grains Pyrodex RS, PRB

A close-up. That's a quarter, the flash blurred it.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:53 AM

Looks like you'll have to start filing down the front sight. Are you sure the rear sight isnt adjustable? My step bros bobcat has a screw in the middle that you adjust up and down. Dont touch the load, thats perfect for PRB. You're doing great for a first timer, Also looks like the rifle will be a hell of a shooter.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:06 PM

The rear sights can only be drifted. Judging from the shape of it I wonder if it's even possible to file it. I'l see about finding a photo.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:12 PM

You file the front sight down to make 'er go up. Use masking tape and mark the sight, do little by little.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:14 PM

I don't understand the masking tape part?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Another trick to protect your rifle is take a piece of plastic off a milk jug. Cut a slit in the plasticand put that over the blade of the front sight. Then when you slip with the file and you will, and youhit the barrel, you will not mark up the bluing. The masking tape is a way to mark the sight so you can keep track of how much of it you have removed.

Instead, I take the file and rifle right to the range. I shoot a round and take about four strokes off the sight. Then shoot again. Make sure you do at least two shot groups. When you get the POI close... STOP. This is where you really have to concentrate on sight picture target acquisition. Now startthinking about what range you want the rifle sighted in at. Move to that range and then start shooting and doing one file stroke at a time...

By the way thats a nice group but before I do any filing, I would increase the powder charge to say 80 - 90 grains and see if that does not pick up your POI a little while still giving you a good tight group at the 25 yard line. While 70 is a fine hunting load, I like to max out my powder charges. Then again, that is just my way. If you're happy with a 70 grains charge and ball, then by all means change the site. Just don't be in a hurry. It would not hurt to change it s little though.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Also if you don't like masking tape, paint the front site with white out.. then with a black magic marker, draw a line along the top edge of the site and file that marker line off. Just repeat that until you have it where you want it.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 PM

man, am i going to have to smack some sense into you? jk.

Masking tape part lets you mark a certain amount you want to remove. The silver part in the pic is the area that i want to remove me get more elevation. The masking tape it there so you can see how much you are removing.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

One other trick that I have done when regulating the sights on my flintlocks is to paint the rear of the sight (I use white out)...What you want to do is paint up to the level that you are thinking about filing off...For example, leave about 1/8 inch of the top of the sight unpainted....Now go back and shoot, using the level of the paint as the top of your front sight...This gives you a reference as to how taking off that much of the front sight will move your group...Then when you file, just file down to the paint...

Like Cay mentioned, you might want to bump the charge up a bit for whitetails...
I have my .54 set to shoot about 1 inch high at 50 yards with 80 grains and when I drop down to a half charge it hits dead on at 25, so I can use this reduced charge for squirrel hunting...

Quick Reply: 25 yards, 70 grains Pyrodex RS, PRB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.