Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pics of my new rest table

Old 05-15-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Pics of my new rest table

Got sick and tired of having a new rifle rest and nothing to put it on, So i pulled out a couple tools and some wood and hacked away. Not very Purdy but it allows me now to use my rest and sight in good. Also a pic of how far my shooting range is from the house. Pretty good walking distance i think. Im good for 50 yards where the table sits but if i shot off the porch i could get close to 65 yards.

Did some shooting off the new table and it worked out great. I was out of wads so i just wanted to see how the BS 350 grainers did and it was what i expected, 2 - 2 1/2" groups without the wad. Loaded up some great plains bullets i had left, which was a total of 6 and let them rip. Im happy with those 5 shots! #6 shot didnt group with them but i'll leave that to no swabbing. No making fun of the shooting table! It did its job just fine lol.

First shot with the 350 BS was perfect, I just wish i could get the other 2 right into the first shot. Im not giving up on the 350s yet, I'll buy more bullets and wads and go at it again. I have "3" 385 grain BS bullets left and i should beable to shoot 100 yards with them tomorrow and see how they do.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pics of my new rest table

50 yards, open sights.. very good shooting. And with no joke intended, I have shot off a lot worse then that table. I say if it is sturdy that is all that matters. My first shooting table was one of them cheap cardboard card tables. I am sure you know what I mean. I had to give up on it though when one leg folded itself, and not at the hinge.

Nice shooting.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:28 PM

Nice rig FG. I use the exact same rest. I bought it for cleaning purposes and didnt think it would hold up with a load. Those rubber claws hold the gun real nice. I put a sand bag on itthat weighs about 30lbs to hold it in place and real happy with it.

Nice shooting by the way.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey GANDER, I would describe your shooting bench as "rustic", as in

ReallyUsableShootingTable -IncreasesControl

Got somequestions for you regarding wads. I've never used them, but recently bought a pack of1/16" 50 caliber vegetable fiber Circle Fly wads from track of the wolf to try under some 250 and 320 grain Lee REAL's.I've never used BS conicals,but understand they come pre-lubed. I assume its a pretty dry lubricant such as on GP's. Ilubricate my REAL's with Lee Liquid Alox which leaves the bullet just a little sticky. Do you think this will be aa problem? Will the wad likely stick to and stay with the bullet going down range? Do you lubricate the wad with something oruse it as is? What kind or accuracy difference do you get with and without wads?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:46 PM

Nope, the lube is a little sticky and doesnt hurt the wad at all. With the real bullets, i shot some in my 45 and the felt wads were glued onto the base of the bullet and then i lubed them with crisco. The sticky lube that you use, will not hurt anything at all. Accuracy wise, the difference i get is using the wads, i'll get atleast 2 out of 3 bullets almost into the next shot. Without the wads, they'll open up to about 1" groups. If you take a look at my target, #1 shot with the BS bullet would be about an inch higher than whats pictured on the target. Use the wad as it comes, dont lube it or do anything to it. Just push it down the bore with your finger, start the bullet and ram it home gently. Its also important to slowly push the bullet/wad down. I had to pull a couple bullets some months back due to the wad flipping over.

Another reason im using wads with BS bullet from now on. In cold weather they group great without wads, But when i was shooting in low 80* weather and not using a wad, they opened up a little over 2" groups. Add a wad and i was getting 2 out of 3 bullets into the same hole. Im almost out of BS bullets and will need to buy a lot more now that i know how they shoot. Im shooting .500" BS bullets that were done in a Lyman cast. They really pack a punch.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the poop GANDER. I haven't been able to get any better than 2 & 1/2 to 3 inch 50-yard groups with the250 grain Lee's. Maybe the wads will do the trick. Haven't shot the 320 grainers yet, so I get to do a with & without wad comparison with those in my next range session.

Wish I had your "at home" shooting set up. I'm a city dweller and have to drive to my hunting lease to shoot. The good thing is we have a really nice 300 yard range with a first class shooting bench. The bad thing is its an hour and fifteen minutes from my house.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:03 PM

ouch, that kind of drive does hurt. What are you shooting? I'd even give the great plains bullets a go at it. So far, im actually getting the best groups with the great plains but they load stiff and i really love the price and quality of the BS bullets, so im willing to give up a little accuracy. But to be fair, i still have to do more shooting and experiment with loads to find the BS sweet spot. Maybe 2 wads?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm trying to get a new LYMAN Mustang dialed in right now.

Have a TC New Englander that shoots GP 420's really well, and a Hopkins & Allen underhammer that shoots RB and 250 grain REAL's really well. Both are iron sighted. Got the Mustang to have a scoped rifle. I have two stands onover foodplots on my deer lease that offer shots up to 170 yards and are really tough with iron sights at dusk.

I'veput about 150 rounds out of the Mustang so far with 250 grain REALS, 420 grainGP's (3 inch 100 yard groups),240 grain HornadyXTP sabots(3 & 1/2 inch 100 yard groups) and BARNES 245 grain Spitfire sabots (2 inch 100 yard groups). I'd like to get the REAL's to shoot in the Mustang. Heck of a lot cheaper to mould your own. Hope the wads do the trick.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:27 PM

Good luck with your rifle, I hope everything works out well for you. I read on another forum a guy was having the same problem but once he dropped his load down to 80-90 grains of powder, it was shooting and grouping perfectly. Let me see if i can find that website for you.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:30 PM

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index....031&page=1

Hope that helps you out.

Quick Reply: Pics of my new rest table

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.