Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pics of my new rest table

Old 05-16-2007, 01:22 PM

Default RE: Pics of my new rest table

Just got back in from shooting 4 shots. I figured out the 350 BS bullets finally! First two shots were with 80 grains T7 and a felt wad. 1-3/8" center/center @ 50yards which wasnt to bad. Next load i loaded up 90 grains T7 and a 350 grain BS bullet, Didnt use a wad because i am out, after 2 shots they measured 3/4" center/center @ 50. Now that i found what the 350's like, i'll go ahead and order bulk 350/385 BS bullets. Next time i get my new order in, i'll load up the same 90 grain t7 load but try a wad out with it. What im liking about the load without the wad, its hitting exactly where im aiming, while the wad shoots about an 1 1/2" higher. Glad i finally found out what the 350's like. But theres nooooo way in hell i am loading up 90 grains T7 with a 385 BS bullet. that 350 grainer alone cleared up my sinuses with that charge. Better bring in the stuff, starting to thunder. Darn global warming!

[align=left] [/align]
Old 05-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice shooting GANDER. It sure is fun playing with different bullets and loads, and is great when you hit the golden combination.

But damn, nowyou've got me thinking about ordering some BS's and I just don't need any more bullets. Right now I've got 250 and 320 grain REALS, 410 grain GP's, 250 grain Hornady XTP's, 300 grain Speer Gold Dots, 300 grain Sierra Sportsmasters, MMP sabots, and Harvester crush rib sabots. Combine all of those with 70, 80, 90, 100 and 110 grains of pyrodex, and thenTriple 7, and DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO SHOOT 5-SHOT GROUPS OF EACH LOAD????
Old 05-16-2007, 03:01 PM

Just do 3 shot groups. If you need 5 shots to take down a deer, You may be better off using a spear. But it was nice to finally figure out those 350's. Im down to 3 bullets and those are the 385s but im saving those for the 100 yard target. Do you have the tools to measure the land/groved? I pushed a great plains bullet down the barrel, then pushed it back up and measured off that to get the diameter and then ordered .500" bullets from BS.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I most always do five shot groups for load development. I've found over the years, with cartridge rifle, pistol,and black powder, that three shot groups will sometimes be lying to you with a tight group purely out of chance. That doesn't happen with five shot groups. Anyway, I just plain like to shoot.

You're right about hunting loads - have never fired a second shot at a deer. Now, scatterguns and birds are a whole different story. If they ever open a spear season for deerI'll be looking for a six-foot carbon fiber shaft model with a two-inch wide stainlesshollow-ground tapered tip. Ain't technology wonderful!

I've got a good caliper, but am not going to go with BS's right now. Enough is enough, dang it!

Old 05-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Nice shooting GANDER. It sure is fun playing with different bullets and loads, and is great when you hit the golden combination.

But damn, nowyou've got me thinking about ordering some BS's and I just don't need any more bullets. Right now I've got 250 and 320 grain REALS, 410 grain GP's, 250 grain Hornady XTP's, 300 grain Speer Gold Dots, 300 grain Sierra Sportsmasters, MMP sabots, and Harvester crush rib sabots. Combine all of those with 70, 80, 90, 100 and 110 grains of pyrodex, and thenTriple 7, and DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO SHOOT 5-SHOT GROUPS OF EACH LOAD????
Of all these bullets, which do you feel consistently shoot the best out of all your rifles? I think it is good to have different sabots and bullets to try in different rifles. You keep a stock around for friends also, so it they are trying to dial in, you got some other combinations for them that they can try. I have never heard of the Sierra Sportsmasters, how are they for accuracy, holding together and penetration. Chap Gleason