Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Took my bobcat for a sight-in today, got some questions

Old 05-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Took my bobcat for a sight-in today, got some questions

I took my CVA Bobcat out today. I put my cardboard backing and target out at approximately 65 yards (thewidth of myparents' yard, the range is closed this week)and took 3 shots from a single sandbag to get a grouping. The first shot was dead center on my cardboard but about a foot low of the bulls eye, completely off the paper. The next was about 2 inches left and the 3rd about 4 to the right of the first shot. Now, laterally these aren't very good groupings at all but the vertical variance was less than an inch top to bottom. I'm pretty sure I was the cause for the horizontal distances.On the2nd and3rd shots there was a slight yet noticable delay between the hammer striking the cap and the charge igniting. I believe I must have flinched on those.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident the windage is dang close to correct since the first shot fired immediately and was about as close to centered asyou can getbut I need to bring the point of impact up. The Bobcat has sights that you can adjust windage by drifting both the front and rear sights witha punch but to adjust elevation you have to do some filing. If I want the POI RAISED, then I should file the front blade, right?

Better to ask because you can always take it off but you can never put it back...
Old 05-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Took my bobcat for a sight-in today, got some questions

good question!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Be real sure that the load your shooting is grouping tight before you file that sight. Once you take metal off, you can not put it bacl In answer to your question,to bring your shots down, you have to (your rifle is hitting high) lower your rear sight, ot you have to get a taller front sight. So to raise your POI you would file the front sight, or raise the rear sight. Move the rear sight in the direction you want the group to travel. The opposite is true for the front sight.

Have you tried other sight pictures first? Also is this the distance you want the rifle sighted in at? I would move the box to 25 yard and shoot groups. It should shoot a pretty tight group at that distance. Then move back to 50 and do the same again. Again, the group should be tight. You should not be spraying all over that box. Once you are sure of the group and load, then try to figure the average distance you will have to shoot when hunting. I personally like 50 yards with iron sights, and 70 with scoped rifles. Then with a good shooting load, make the final adjustments to your sight.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:37 PM

OH man, I forgot all about finding my best shooting load. I was just pumping 70 grains through there like I had been when just playing mostly. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:28 PM

70 grains sounds like it should be good, Start out at 25 and see how it groups, move back to 40 yards and give it a try. You may just have to adjust your powder charge.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would suggest you pin down the cause of the hang fires and cure it first; with different ignition temptures your groups would suffer even if you could hold perfectly still during the lag and you certainly don't need a hang fire while hunting. After that the plan Cayuqad laid out should get you to where you need to go. Lee
Old 05-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Try different loads, move closer and then adjust the sights.

You move the sights the direction you want the shot to move. For instance, if you are shooting low and left, you want the shot to go high and right. Therefore, you move the sight higher and to the right. Simple, right?

Good luck and have fun
Old 05-15-2007, 11:20 AM

Simple if the bobcat had adjustable sights