Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope or Red Dot

Old 12-19-2002, 08:17 AM

Default Scope or Red Dot

Here in Ohio when you hunt whitetails during shotgun season or ML you can expect a moving shots most of the time (not all out running). What are the Pro’s and Con’s of Scope vs Red Dot from 1-150yds.

TrestandEd

"Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING
Old 12-20-2002, 07:43 AM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scope or Red Dot

I tried a red dot this year and was disappointed. Unless your rifle has a raised cheek piece it's hard to be consistent. As you move your eye the red dot will move around in the scope. Actually I stumbled upon a peep sight that I like better than the red dot so decided to go that way. At least it fits close enough to the barrel I don't have to raise my head up or put a cheek piece on my stock to use it. We are only allowed 1X for power in a scope here.

Old 12-20-2002, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like scopes.

Old 12-21-2002, 07:14 AM

tm, let me know about that peep sight. Where I hunt, in the NZ of NY, we don't get very many long shots. So, as much as I would like to scope my Black Diamond, maybe a peep sight would be better.

Old 12-21-2002, 01:19 PM
tm
Fork Horn

Muddy, your email isn't listed so couldn't reply by email. Anyway my original rear sight has a small insert with a locking screw. I found a piece of steel the same thickness as the insert and ground it down to fit and drilled a hole in it. Seems to work and I like that it isn't as dark as the regular target peeps. Sits closer to the barrel also.