Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

pretty cool video

Old 05-08-2007, 12:00 AM

Default pretty cool video

Found this posted on GBO and thought it was a pretty neat video. Bergara barrels in the making for the cva elite and tc encore.
http://www.bergarabarrels.com/
Old 05-08-2007, 04:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: pretty cool video

Enjoyed the factory tour! My father and all his familyare from that region of Spain.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Found this posted on GBO and thought it was a pretty neat video. Bergara barrels in the making for the cva elite and tc encore.
http://www.bergarabarrels.com/
Very cool video FG, I asked them if they are ever going to make a TC Hawken replacement barrel. See what they say. I see why you like the Optima Elite now. Makes sense. Never heard of Ed Shilen, but he knows his stuff as demonstrated by the shooting of Chad on the video. Thanks for pointing this out. Chap Gleason
Old 05-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

Probably if you have not heard of Ed Shilen you just are not old enough. He has been making custom barrels for a very long time. I have a 98 Mauser with a 30-06 Shilen barrel that was made for another man to use as a backup rifle on African hunting expeditions. I was impressed to see that CVA has definately stepped up their quality of material and manufacturing methods from days of old. I might just consider a Spanish barrel from those guys.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

Probably if you have not heard of Ed Shilen you just are not old enough. He has been making custom barrels for a very long time. I have a 98 Mauser with a 30-06 Shilen barrel that was made for another man to use as a backup rifle on African hunting expeditions. I was impressed to see that CVA has definately stepped up their quality of material and manufacturing methods from days of old. I might just consider a Spanish barrel from those guys.
Nope I am 59 now but never heard of the man and I have hunted all my life.Alway just had my oldRemington 760 30-06, never been into "big time" African, "going out west" or anything like that 'cause I never could afford it.
Chap Gleason Va
PS. I am going on my first elk hunt near Meeker Colorado in 2008 with a MLer (Savage 10 ML) in 1st rifle season, so I breaking new ground here.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:51 PM

Im hunting meeker this year. what unit you plan on hunting? I can do some scouting and take pics and report back to you. I plan on unit 211,22 and possibly a couple surrounding areas.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shilen, Hart, Douglas.... household names in the firearms world.

Bergara? Do they make cheese?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:19 PM

same quality of barrel that are on TC's. Dont be one of those fools that only buys american to keep americans working and drive a canadian built ford or Mexican made chevy
Old 05-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

[[/quote]

Nope I am 59 now but never heard of the man and I have hunted all my life.Alway just had my oldRemington 760 30-06, never been into "big time" African, "going out west" or anything like that 'cause I never could afford it.
Chap Gleason Va
PS. I am going on my first elk hunt near Meeker Colorado in 2008 with a MLer (Savage 10 ML) in 1st rifle season, so I breaking new ground here.
[/quote]

Chap: You aren't a "spring chicken" either ( I have a couple of years on you just turning 68). I have not had the African experience either (most of us either can't or won't afford it). Personally I am a meat hunter and in Africa you have to give the meat to the locals and I am not a trophy hunter. I probably would not have bought a Shilen barrel on my own as the price was high, but I got a good deal on the Mauser so I own one (actually thinking of selling it). I am so involved with muzzleloaders that my cartridge rifles just ride the gun safe. Just bought a White 97 and am working on getting a White Thunderbolt both in .504 cal. As I am in Arizona I hunt elk when I can get drawn. Have shot three with front loaders. They are big and heavy on the ground. Plan on a lot of work when you drop one. I use the shoulder length gloves to gut the big animals and I am usually up to my shoulders when doing it. Those big animals are a rush when you get close to one of them.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

From what i can find out... Bergara does make an aftermarket barrel that will fit the Encore, they do not make the factory installed or ordered TC barrels.... not to say that there might be a quality difference between a the Bergara and/or a TC barrel, but the orginal TC is not a Bergara. If you look at the stampings under the barrel you will see what I mean or so I have been told.

I was looking for the post on another forum but I can not find it right now... A guy that has both guns...

Quick Reply: pretty cool video

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.