Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Kodiak 45 problems

Old 05-06-2007, 08:18 AM
E5B

Default CVA Kodiak 45 problems

2 years ago I purchased a CVA Kodiak magnum 45 cal topped with a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33. (1:28 twist)
The two types of bullets I've used are PowerBelt and Shockwave (several different bullet weights) with 100 grains worth ofpowder pellets. The best accuracy at 50 yards has been 4 inch groups.....very discouraging. Should I try 150 grains (it is a magnum rated at 150 grains) and different bullets? Should I use 209 primers vice the reduced flash muzzleloading primers? I've been thoroughly cleaning it after each shot so I know that isn't the issue. Anyone else have a Kodiak 45 cal that can group?

Old 05-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Kodiak 45 problems

First off .. welcome to the forum. Its great to have you here.

As for your problems with a .45 caliber inline, I can not be of much help. If it were me I would do some of the following...

change to loose powder. Start your powder charges at 80 grains. Personally I would use Pyrodex RS. Again the swabbing between shot routine is a great idea. Next I would look for lots of different projectiles to try out. I would look at some of the .45 caliber XTP's in different weights. I would also keep trying the Shockwaves and powerbelts. As for the idea of 150 grains of powder. It would not hurt to try three pellets. Some rifles just like powerful powder charges. My Knight rifle is like that.

As another alternative, contact CVA and tell them that you can not get the barrel to tune in and see what they suggest. Perhaps they would trade that out to a .50 caliber which seem to tune in better in many cases. They might also be able to offer some loads for you to try.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:27 AM

I dont have a kodiak but i do have a 45 and it didnt like the pyrodex at all. Switch to Triple 7 Loose powder and start out with 70-80 grains and atleast a 225 grain powerbelt. I also use cci or federal primers only. Also be a good idea to check your sights, If they are plastic, they tend to flex and make you shoot all over the place and cause a real headache.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Fork Horn

In my 45x209 Encore I shoot 100 gr. loose 3f 777 and the 200 gr. shockwave . The real trick is to find what your rife likes the best . With loose powder you can start at 80 and work your way up until you get your best group .
Charlie
Old 05-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: E5B

2 years ago I purchased a CVA Kodiak magnum 45 cal topped with a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33. (1:28 twist)
The two types of bullets I've used are PowerBelt and Shockwave (several different bullet weights) with 100 grains worth ofpowder pellets. The best accuracy at 50 yards has been 4 inch groups.....very discouraging. Should I try 150 grains (it is a magnum rated at 150 grains) and different bullets? Should I use 209 primers vice the reduced flash muzzleloading primers? I've been thoroughly cleaning it after each shot so I know that isn't the issue. Anyone else have a Kodiak 45 cal that can group?
All rifles are designed/tested with a certain bullet/charge/primer combination, they usually specify that in the manual, I am pretty sure CVA is going to say PBs with 100g. Look online for the manual and see what CVA recommends. Start there and get something that works, then do some experiments with other bullets/charges/primers and distances. 4" at 50 is not good for a group. Chap Gleason
Old 05-08-2007, 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: E5B

Anyone else have a Kodiak 45 cal that can group?
Certainly not me!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:47 PM

yeah outdoors can barely get an omega to group

When you shoot a 45 you have a lot less bullets to try out and takes time and money to figure the rifle out. Ive owned two 45's and they both are a PITA to find something that shoots well. Or i should say, PITA to find more than one bullet that will shoot.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:24 AM

I had a CVA Kodiak .45 with accuracy issues as well. Powerbelts, xtp's, shockwaves, triple-7, and pyrodex was all tried. I would ask CVA to have your barrel replaced so you can sell the gun with a good conscience. I lucked out, the store I bought it from gave me a refund and I walked out the store with an Encore.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

I had a CVA Kodiak .45 with accuracy issues as well. Powerbelts, xtp's, shockwaves, triple-7, and pyrodex was all tried. I would ask CVA to have your barrel replaced so you can sell the gun with a good conscience. I lucked out, the store I bought it from gave me a refund and I walked out the store with an Encore.
Wow, that was a good trade in. Chap Gleason
Old 05-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

yeah outdoors can barely get an omega to group

When you shoot a 45 you have a lot less bullets to try out and takes time and money to figure the rifle out. Ive owned two 45's and they both are a PITA to find something that shoots well. Or i should say, PITA to find more than one bullet that will shoot.
Outdoorslover is using open sights, so 4" group at 50 would be OK in my mind with open sights, 6" unacceptable. I have had excellent grouping with 90 to 100g of loose 777 and a 300g XTP or 300g Gold Dot in my Omega. So Outdoorslover may need to do so more load and bullet selection, I however am using a 3-9 scope.

It is very difficult to find 45 bulletsexcept on the Internet at MidSouth Shooters Supply, Brownells or Cabelas. I don't recommend 45 for just that reason. My brother has a .45 FL that he uses with RBs, now the energy on this is a little lacking in my mind, now that I know about these things. I used the rifle4 seasons ago with PRB andthe flinting system on it was not good. I had a large doe in front of me about 25 yards and I "flinted" 10 times before she ran off.Iwent back to my brother's house called him on the Walkie Talkie and said tofix this darn thing.He showed me in a dark room exactly what was happening, the flint was loose, so instead of striking the frizzen with the flint I was driving the flint back into the holder with minimal spark.He put a new flint in, tighten it up and boom it was sparking big time. Oh he took the barrel off to test the sparking, so no chance of gun going off. That was one of my first FL learing experiences.
You can't pick up these little tid bits, without the fumble experience.So the lesson in here that I want to point out is 1) your flint has to be secure in the holder and 2) you can test the sparking/shower with a dark or dimly lit room--you should see a lot of sparks from a properly working frizzen and flint.

Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: CVA Kodiak 45 problems

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.