Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

HUNTING SHOWS ON T.V.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HUNTING SHOWS ON T.V.

ORIGINAL: Taureaunoir

I would like to swich to traditional but here in Canada,almost nobody hunt with a side lock so there's none in the stores.It's an American sport and since September 11 no firearm can be bought in the state and cross to Canada.
So that is why I shoot a Knight Revolution 11 with patch and ball, it is as close I can hunt traditionnal.
Taureau noir
Not entirely true mon ami.

There are several places where you can get muzzleloaders.

http://www.lebaron.ca/index_en.html
http://www.russellsports.com/catalog.php
http://www.sirmailorder.ca/

are but a few places. Also if you want to order a flintlock you can get them cross border no problem at all. Lyman's will ship directly to you. You pay any duty due and away you go.
That being said. You will have a more difficult time buying "Real" Black Powder as it is classed as an explosive. Once you find a source buy lots.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Saw a couple of really good shows that featured hunting with flintlocks some where in the north east. Think they were sponsored by Leaf River.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

"I think the shows are all about marketing and making money, andmost folks don't like to mess with FL or SideLock because they feel they are too complicated and unreliable."

I'm sure there are people who think this. I've certainly had my failures with flint and cap lock rifles. ButIN EVERY INSTANCE when this happened, I was able to trace what happened to something I had done wrong or had failed to do! Never was the fault of the design of the mechanism!

Old 04-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen Roger Raglin numerous times shooting traditional and Keith Warren's show.