Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega X7, anybody shot one?

Old 03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default Omega X7, anybody shot one?

I'm wanting a light weight MZ to use for hunting up in the foot hills and mountains of Eastern TN. I've been looking at the T/C omega X7 and really like the way it shoulders and feels but I'm wanting to hear from some folks about how it handles on the firing line. I realize that with itbeing a full pound lighter than the standard omega that it'll probably have a bit more felt recoil (not an issue withme)but what are folks seeing in the way of grouping andconsistancy?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Omega X7, anybody shot one?

I have a Z5 Omega. It's the best gun I've ever bought. I like the X7 a lot but don't like peep sights or the price.

That gun will knock theticks off a deer's back at 200 yards scoped. You don't have to worry about accuracy. Try 110 grains Pyrodex and 300 grain sabots and you'll be amazed.

Great choice. You will not be disappointed in the least.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Actually, I kind of like the peep sight but, it'll get replaced with alow power scope. My eyes aren't as good in low light as they use to be. The standard omega's aregreat handlingrifles but, being a full pound lighter and sporting only a 24" barrel, the X7 is a slightly different creature. I'm real curious how those differences stack up at the range and in the field.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:18 PM

24" barrel will be good in the brush but you're going to get quite a bit of recoil with the shorter barrel, the magnum charges wont burn no where near as well and will be a waste.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

I never jumped on the "magnum" charge craze, so that's not an issue. Last years hunting load was a 410 gr. Great Plains conical with 90 gr. of 777. That's about as magnum as I get. I'm not concerned much about recoil. Over the years I've been hunting, I can't say I've ever really felt much recoil when in the field and shooting at an animal. At the range, recoil sensitivity is an individual thing. My hunting load last season wasdecently comfortable to me off the bench. My best frienddidn't care much for it though .
Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Suggest you read the user reviews at Cabela's. They are not totally positive - some issues with the slick stock finish and the rear peep. Only other review I've read was written by a very disappointed owner - but can't remember where I read it... perhaps Graybeard forums.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Underclocked...thanks for the tip. The cabelas reviews were interesting. The one review where the stock split was quite a surprise. I wonder if that was an isolated incident or a recurrent issue. Things like that are the reason I like to ask other's opinions before I drop the cash.