Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good Deer Load?

Old 03-24-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Good Deer Load?

Spent the day at the range with my new (to me)T/C Black diamond. I was shooting 250 gr and 300 gr sabots. Both shoot very well, but since I'm new to this I'd like to know what size would be best for deer. I live in Upstate NY and hunt whitetail.

Also, I had a heck of a time getting the breach plug off when I got home to clean it. In fact I broke 2 breech plug removal tools!! Any tips to keep it from sticking. Should I dab a little never sieze on the threads?

Thanks
Old 03-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good Deer Load?

Automotive Anti-sieze and lot's of it is what I use. Also I don't crank the BP down as hard as possible. I turn it down till tight then back it off just a hair. When I'm done shooting I loosenit off before I leave the range.

My first ML'ing deer fell to 2 T7 50 gr pellets, 300gr SST out of an Omega. The deer staggered 20 yds then dropped.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 PM

I always dope mine up good, use a q tip to clean up whatever makes a mess and only "finger" tighten it with the tool. It tightens up when you shoot. If its still frozen, pull the barrel off and use a propane torch and heat up the outside breechplug area. Once enough heat get to it, the plug will come out fairly easily. Just make sure the rifle is unloaded before you do the heat trick. 250 or the 300 will work great on deer. Ive used 245 powerbelts on deer and dropped them in their tracks.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: nymorey

Spent the day at the range with my new (to me)T/C Black diamond. I was shooting 250 gr and 300 gr sabots. Both shoot very well, but since I'm new to this I'd like to know what size would be best for deer. I live in Upstate NY and hunt whitetail.

Also, I had a heck of a time getting the breach plug off when I got home to clean it. In fact I broke 2 breech plug removal tools!! Any tips to keep it from sticking. Should I dab a little never sieze on the threads?Thanks

Both of those mentioned projectiles will work just fine on deer.

As to the seized breech plug, you have to put anti seize on the breech plug threads. What I do is tape the threads of the breech plug with teflon pipe tape, then I paint the tape with some anti seize. Put the plug in and when you think it is tight, back it off about 1/4 turn.

Also in the black diamond I own, if I have shot ten rounds, then I take that cheap breech plug wrench that came with the rifle, reach in there, and give that breech plug a turn back and fourth. You don't have to remove it mind you. All you are doing is breaking the crud free of the breech plug.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:38 PM

Thanks, for the tips. I put on the anti-sieze but did not think to back it off a bit. I will do that for sure!

That will work for the nipples on my sidelock too, right? They seem to stick too.

And your right about that cheap tool, I broke it trying to get that plug out!
Old 03-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, for the tips. I put on the anti-sieze but did not think to back it off a bit. I will do that for sure!

That will work for the nipples on my sidelock too, right? They seem to stick too.

And your right about that cheap tool, I broke it trying to get that plug out!
The very first day I owned my Black Diamond XR I broke that tool trying to get the breech plug out. If you have a 8" extension for your ratchet set and a 7/16th (or is it a 9/16th) thin socket, it will slide right through the back of the rifle onto the nipple and then the breech and you can get them out real easy, fast, and with that extension it is long enough to miss a scope. Or they sell a "Deluxe breech plug removal tool" for the rifle that makes things a little easier to do also.

Yes, a little of the anti seize on the threads of your sidelock nipple will help that come out easier. Or do not try to remove it until you pump one patch through the barrel on a water bath. That will normally help dissolve the fowling around the nipple and it will come out easier as well.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tool?? Heck I use a ratchet and a deep socket on the end of a 6 inch extension.

LOL Cayugad, you beat me to it.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:05 PM

I ended up using a socket with an extension but I did not have a thin wall, (It's a 7/16th). I had one small enough to fit by the plug then I reached the extention through the back of the rifle.

I think I will be getting a thin wall socket tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, I had a heck of a time getting the breach plug off when I got home to clean it. In fact I broke 2 breech plug removal tools!! Any tips to keep it from sticking. Should I dab a little never sieze on the threads?

Thanks
I hunt in NY also (not far frm Bath NY), having grown up just over the line in Elkland Pa. 4 of the 5 guys at our camp use MLs now instead of shotguns. I think your considering doing that also. I like the 300g bullets since they shoot thru the deer leaving a good blood trail. >>The 250 and 240g tend to not shoot thru the deer.<< I shoot Nosler partition pistol bullets 300g--I practice with Hornady XTPs.The XTP are very inexpensive, the Nosler partitions are $1 earch. You can also use 45-70 Nosler Partition rifle bullets, but they are just as expensive. I use aHarvesterCrushed Ribsabot with the Noslers. TheNoslers are .451 in diameter, same as the Hornady XTP Mag 300g. The MLers are a lot more fun to shoot than ascoped shotgun and more accurate and more hard hitting in my opinion, although bullet technology in shotguns is getting a lot better now. I use a TC Omega. Good hunting and shooting with your Black Diamond.
Chap Gleason Va.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depending on how tightly the plug fits the barrel threads, I will use the method shown or simply use the Slick50 ONE grease on tighter plugs. I tighten to snug and LEAVE it there.

Sabotloader uses the tape in an overlapping manner and uses no lube.
Mike's method:
Sabotloader also leaves the plug snug. I've used his method successfully but I also add a touch of grease over thetape on the forward threads. Don't have the courage to go greaseless. Stuck plugs are no fun.

Breaking the sealthen continuing to shoot has never made sense to me, but breaking the seal when finished shootingis a very goodpractice.

Each gunseems to have a preference so far as breech plug lubing. Like most things muzzleloading, you'll need to find an approach that works best for you and your rifle.

Quick Reply: Good Deer Load?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.