Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

At it Again

Old 03-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default At it Again

I was out again today with my Lyman .50 Flintlock DeerStalker. Load 90 gr 2f Goex, 3f in the pan, .490 Speer Ball, .018 TC Pillow Tick Patch @ 15 yds of an Army grade sandbag, open sights. I am not really concerned with POI as I am with grouping. I am new to the flintlock world and I am just trying to get used it. I took cayugad's advice and got closer and will shoot from there until I get it right. First shot on the center line 2nd right next to it, 3rd up and 4th next to that one and the 5th off to the left. I stopped there as I knew I flinched and pulled the last one and I don't want to start bad habits.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: At it Again

That's looking much better. It shows you have accepted the flash of the pan as there is little indication of a flinch. It would also look like that rifle would be close on to about 50 yards. Did the .018 patch seem to fit better and make a tighter load? Also was it smoking the patch?

It really is looking good. I bet that was a lot of fun shooting today...
Old 03-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunt, nice shooting! I'll have my .54 Deerstalker out all this week up at the cabin! I can't wait! I have had it since Jan and only shot it twice! I'm ready!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks BHF, they're a hoot to shoot. Enjoy!!!

Cayugad, The .018 patch loads nice and firm, but I still have a bugger of a time trying to get more than 2-3 shots in a row without standing on top of a the ramrod and jumping up and down to seat the ball. I thought they were pretty gooey with the wonderlube (?) on them but I guess not. The patches were not burned at all. They were a little frayed around the edges but other than that I'd say you could re-load them and shoot them again.I don't think that I've overcome the flash yet. I noticed that my shots started to migrate to the left with every shot I took. I'm lefthanded and that would indcate that I was anticipating and starting to pull / flinch a bit. I think that more practise and getting used to the hammer fall and ignition delaywill cure that. The flintlock is definately a different creature to shoot.

Things I learned today.
1. If the pan is not clean, the possiblilty of nothing happening when you squeeze the trigger increases expotentially.
2. Wear your seeing glasses. They make them little dots 15 yds away a lot easier to see
3. Ear plugs helped stop me from reacting to the click of the hammer falling.
4. I think I'm getting addicted.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

That is really strange that you're having that much trouble after five or six shots. In all honesty, I have shot over 25 roundballs without ever swabbing the barrel. I shoot normally Goex powder like you. Granted I can feel a little buildup down in the breech but nothing that gets me worried.

The patch being frayed around the edge is normal. It sounds like it is working good. If the patch gets torn, or blow through, then you have problems. Also do not get worried about the filth goex marks on the patch. That is normal as well.

The more you shoot the more the flinch goes away. A trick I do is when I shoot, I concentrate on the sights and target and insist in my mind that I am going to see the ball hit the target and make a hole. I started doing that and discovered the pan flash no longer bothered me at all. I also hear the hammer fall once in a while, but ignore that.

As for ear plugs and eye glasses. Only a fool target shoots without them. I have an ear that I hardly hear out of because I was that fool for many years. Now on my range, no one shoots without ear and eye protection. When friends shoot I always tell them to be sure and bring their protection.

Maybe Roundball will read this. He might be able to tell you why, as a bore butter shooter you should be getting that much fowling build up. I personally never or I should say, seldom experience that. Of course when you swab, use isopropyl alcohol. I swab the barrel with it, wipe the frizzen off with it, and wipe out the pan with it. It works good and drys fast.

Good luck shooting.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ehhh what you say. lol I know it's not a laughing matter. But I don't find the muzzleloaders that loud in comparison to CF's and shotguns. But as you say, don't be the fool and protect what you have left. I lost most of my hearing in my right ear while duck huntin. My former huntin partner was a little close when he let loose. As for glasses I always wear some sort, today I was wearing my presciption glasses cause I can't see much at a distance unless it has some fur on it.

The barrel doesn't look like it is fouling up but more like it's gray?? and very dry?? Almost like I was shooting T7. Temperature was right around zero (32'F)

I have a peep sight on order so it should block out the hammer movement as well and help me keep things on line.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

The barrel doesn't look like it is fouling up but more like it's gray?? and very dry??
I get the same thing from my .50 cal GPR??? The grey builds up so much, at one point I couldn't get the ball seated right! It was about 5 inches from being seated! I would be lucky to get 3 shots in a row without swabbing?? Is this normal?? Or should I swab between each shot??
Old 03-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Shouldnt have to swab between each shot. When shooting my deercreek .45 with pyrodex rs, i can easily load up 15-20 in a row with no problems. But when i use my flintlock with the real blackpowder "goex", i'll start swabbing every 5 shots or else the 6th shot gives me heck. i can also avoid swabbing , by taking extra bore butter with me and doping up the patch really good, some where around ever 4th shot i will do this to cut the fouling down.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

BHF, I wonder if it is the temperature that we are shooting at? Are you in the UP?
Old 03-24-2007, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I was just wondering the same.. perhaps climate and geographical location elements might be the whole difference. I really do not know. If you can't seat the projecitle properly, then of course you have to swab the barrel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.