Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

At it Again

Old 03-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: At it Again

Cayugad,
I think the temp might have something to do with it. It was snowing like heck just after I got home today. I'll try adding some criscoe to the patches and see how that works out. WhenI hear 25-50 shots in a row I just havethink something is up. I think it was Roundball who said his patches were pretty wet.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I use moosemilk on mine and have little to no trouble loading.. good luck with that Crisco.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I presume that you use the moosemilk on a dry patch? I know I've seen it on here before so I'll do a seach for it.
Thanks Cayugad. Flintlocks certainly teach / make you learn how to shoot all over again.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think the weather has much to do with the problem. It happens to me warm and cold temps... I use the pre lube pillow tick. I think they might be the problem?? Could this be? Should the patch be more wet than dry??
Old 03-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I've used moosemilk both ways. Normally though I admit when I shoot dry patches, I am hunting and will not be shooting numerous shots. On the range I often times will spritz them to dampen them a little and they do seem to slide down the barrel a lot easier.

On the recommendation of Roundball, I did purchase some Hoppies solvent and patch lube to try. I figure if I don't like it I can always clean my rifles with the stuff. I had a big order anyway and told them to throw a bottle of that in. Maybe next week I will try it.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cayugad, I picked up some of the same stuff, I'm giving that a try this week!
Old 03-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Y' all know that I think that it's the first shot that counts. I think I'm going to try going out and shoot one good shot each day and concentrate on shooting that one good shot. My goal will be to place that one shot in the same place each day. That ought to be interestiing...

I know that repetetive shooting only enhances bad form(or if you are a good shot enhance that). I knew I was starting to pull my shots so I stopped. If I were to have continued my group would have went all to hell in a handbasket.lol

What do you think about that?
Old 03-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'll get tired of cleaning a rifle for just one shot each outing.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

UC, lol maybeeeeee. lol