Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Scope on my White

Old 03-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Scope on my White

cayugad and bdeather you will have to let us know how you like your new scopes. I am interested in how you would both compare them to your red dots you have on other rifles.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I took the new scope out today on the White Ultra Mag. I was told to start at 25 yards and it should be close, according to my friend the gunsmith who mounted it. Well On a clean barrel it shot over four inches low. I then wondered if perhaps the clean barrel was the cause so I fired again and it moved up an inch.

I then made my first adjustment and fired two rounds to check it again. There was not swabbing done during this time. The first adjustment had gained me about two inches so I made another adjustment.

The next two shots were onlyan inch difference. While I was happy with the group, I was not with the location since I was trying to get the rifle set to 70 yards. So another adjustment was made.

The next two were about where I wanted them until I could do the fine tuning. I then shot at the bottom corner bulls to see if I could poke the eye out of them. I just lay the cross hair right under the dot and squeezed off. Not to bad.

I then had some Pyrodex P out on the bench so I swabbed the rifle and shot at the top corners of the target. I really wonder if a White rifle should ever be swabbed. Once fowled, it put them in the right places as well.

I then put a new target on. I backed up to 35 yards according to my range finder. I then fired five shots holding dead on the center bull. I was more then pleased with the group and the location. According to the ballistics table it was supposed to be .97 of an inch high. So it looks like it is all on target so far.

Then I tried to poke the eyes out of the corner bulls. I fired three shots at the first one and had a flier of course. The other corners were pretty good.

My impressions of the scope is, while there is no magnification it does make a heck of a aiming device. There is no more wonder if the fiber optic sights are in the right place, the right left and right, or etc. I just was shooting off a single bag rest, like I would out of a hunting blind. I was more then happy with the results. The scope is nice and clean, the cross hairs not too thick and easy to pick out. The eye relief of this scope is excellent. I was never concerned with a scope kiss from this one. It also cleaned up real nice and easy with the removable rings.

Once the bench rest melts out of the ice and snow I will move it back further and see how it does all the way out to 100 yards.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

50 yard station today off a single bag rest.

I took the White Ultra Mag out today again. The Thompson Center 1X scope on it was all set to work the 50 yard line. I started on a clean barrel. The load was 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f powder, no wad, and a 500 grain Bullshop conical. I did swab one time during this shooting because I could feel a crud ring forming in the breech. Not something serious, but I wanted to keep the testing fair.

The left hand side of the picture shows where the first shot hit. As usual, on a clean barrel the rifle shoots low. Which is one reason I fowl the barrel before hunting. The RED ARROW indicated a hole from yesterdays shooting so I could not claim that one. I held dead on the center red bull and shot a five shot group. I was not surprised that the bullets hit where they did. After all the rifle is supposed to be sighted in at 70 yards, so we have not started coming down with the rainbow trajectory of the conicals yet.

I then used the very bottom of the RED BULL as my aim point and shot another five shot group. As you can see, I had one flier out of the five shot group. Other then that they were in the bull. I was happy. The other four were right where the first shot hit the bull basically. I was pleased with the four shot's tightness. I only wish I had not had that flier, or it would have been a most impressive group overall.

So to prove that this was not a fluke...

I then shot a number of conicals holding on the bottom of the BULL and shot the following group with swabbing now. Now I labeled it as a ten shot but I might be more inclined to believe, counting the original five holes, it was a twelve shot group, counting the number of missing Bullshop conicals in the box. But I was not about to complain with a group like that at 50 yards even if I called it 10.

The 1X scope does provide an excellent aim point. But it really does not make seeing into the dark bullet trap any easier. It will make the Wisconsin Muzzleloader season interesting though. I am looking forward to seeing what it will do at the longer ranges.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad -

That sort of accuracy looks, well, boring. You should probably make a gift of that rifle to a fellow forum user from the east coast. You could send me a PM and I could provide you the member's address. I'm quite sure he'd pay the shipping and it would reduce your estate tax liability.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Dominant Buck

yeoman - you're very kind..
Old 03-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Who is that guy? (yeoman) talking about estate liability taxes... Gees! i do not even know what he is talking about... Are liabilty taxes real or a substitute... Sides everyone knows it is cheaper to ship west than it is east... an a nother thing there is more room in the west to shoot that long shooting rifle - it would not be contained here- it could roam...
Old 03-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

SL -

Estate taxes are those the government comes to collect after you have gone to the happy hunting grounds, and can no longer defend your possessions with those long rifles. Perhaps you should reduce your inventory as well? You have the address!
Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Good shooting Dave as you know I bought a Thompson last year and have had same results. I jave a friend who bought a Traditions 1x 32 from Scheels in Eau Claire they carry a blue for 49.95 and a camo for 70.00. Its is very clear with good duplex about half the price of TC but I don't know abut warrinty
Old 03-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I never heard of thatstore. I might have to wander over that way in the future and pick one up. If I am ever over that way. I have another rifle I would like to mount a 1X on as well. I always wanted to mount one on a traditional rifle and then compare the accuracy of the two side by side.

Thanks for the heads up there.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

Scheels in in Oakwood mall south of eau claire e mail me if your coming over I will accompany you. If you are so inclined there is a nice brew pub near by with good food. If you want I can pick one up and send to you also.

Quick Reply: New Scope on my White

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.