Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Rods

Old 03-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Range Rods

Is there any opinions on brass vs aluminum range rods? I got a brass rod with a CVA cleaning kit I bought for my rifle. Being the tight a$$ that I am I couldn't see spending too much for a second rod for the range. One to load and one to swab with. I took a old Outters shotgun aluminum cleaning rod and chucked it up in the the lathe, cut the end off and bored and rethreaded to 10-32 to fit my cleaning jag. Both the brass and the aluminum rods are three piece so they store nice. I'm thinking I'll take a piece of PVC pipe, glue on a cap, some hose clamps, and when I'm down to my hunting area triming branches backthis summer I'll clamp the pipe on the side of my ladder stand to hold my rod. That CVA rod that comes with the gun is one piece of junk I wouldn't want to depend on....
Old 03-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Range Rods

It's a real problem with many companies. Green Mountain had a real problem for a while. I bought a barrel and the first time cleaning it, the end come off, with the jag, in the barrel. I was luck to get it back out, without shooting the whole works down range. I contacted GMB and they replaced all my ramrods for me.

The rods that come with them are not the best many times. On a tube rod you have to check to make sure the ends are pinned. If not you are in for a real surprise when the internal crimp slips and you loose the whole works in the barrel.

In a sold rod I find that the thing that finally happens is the ends give out and the threads strip. That was the final ending for my Thompson Center Rugged Rod. Although that Range Rod put up with a couple years of hard abuse on the range.

I am looking fora solid aluminum or brass rod now that I can make into my range rod. I insist that the rod be at least 32" long and have female ends on both ends so I can not only attach the jag of my choice but a T handle as well.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/cart/asp/select_item.asp?item=18091 find I use that one the most and I have several choices. I use it without a handle and have fit a .45 cal jag on one end while leaving the .50 jag on the other. Had to taper the brass just a bit to mesh up with the .45 jag and the 7/16" diameter of the rod makes for a tight fit ina .45 bore - but it works great for me.

Knight's standard ramrods have to be a cruel joke.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

The finest range rod I have was one made by a fella on DWB'S
It is stainless with a pinned T-handle and it has a bore guide
so you don't hurt the barrel. I have 410 rod that I got from UC and its about 5' long,good rod I even ran over it with the truck,didn't even hurt it.

Redclub
Old 03-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

It aint THAT long - even if it looks like it. RC's .410 rod is similar to the one I linked above, just a pencil thin version. And yep, Woodgoat has made both a .50 and a .45 rod for me and both are superb (but not generally available).
Old 03-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

Brass shoots farther down range. That's another story. I have had good luck with aluminum both solid and hollow. It all depends on how well the bullets go down the barrel. The shockwaves I shoot go down smooth and take little pressure when I swab the barrel. The XTPs wouldn't even load so I don't shoot them. The plastic sabots were too large and I gave them away rather then switch out the sabots for thinner ones. I found that the Shockwaves get it done so that's what I shoot.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

Is there any opinions on brass vs aluminum range rods? I got a brass rod with a CVA cleaning kit I bought for my rifle. Being the tight a$$ that I am I couldn't see spending too much for a second rod for the range. One to load and one to swab with. I took a old Outters shotgun aluminum cleaning rod and chucked it up in the the lathe, cut the end off and bored and rethreaded to 10-32 to fit my cleaning jag. Both the brass and the aluminum rods are three piece so they store nice. I'm thinking I'll take a piece of PVC pipe, glue on a cap, some hose clamps, and when I'm down to my hunting area triming branches backthis summer I'll clamp the pipe on the side of my ladder stand to hold my rod. That CVA rod that comes with the gun is one piece of junk I wouldn't want to depend on....
And what happens if you shot your gun and your not in the tree stand?How do you swab then? Carry the Range rod with you at all times?You need a cleaning jag on one end of the ram rod, not 2 rods, IMHO.

RMC Sports sells custom Aluminum ram rods for all makes and calibers of MLer for $18. I have a couple and they are very well made. My Omega came with a good ram rod, but all the rest are junk--Knight Disc,TC FL. I have replaced every one of them withRMC all aluminum rods. RMC Sports ishere:

http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

Then click on Ram Rod Accessories on the LHS.If you figure your time at $50/hour, you have way over a 1/2 hour to make yourram/cleaning rod. Cheaper to just get a good one that will handle a jag on one end and load with the Jag and clean with the Jag. If you using the SW bullets of course you have to use the Jag make for high BC bullets.

I do have a long, long range rod all aluminum (4 foot)also that I use for cleaning at home only, not swabing between shots in the field. In the fieldcleaning has to fit on the end of yourram rodunder your barrell. I have learned to carry a small pair of plyers in my day pack so that when my rod gets stuck in the 777 crud ring I am notup the creek without a paddle. Short strokes when at the end of the barrel.
Chap Gleason
Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Then click on Ram Rod Accessories on the LHS.If you figure your time at $50/hour, you have way over a 1/2 hour to make yourram/cleaning rod. Cheaper to just get a good one that will handle a jag on one end and load with the Jag and clean with the Jag. If you using the SW bullets of course you have to use the Jag make for high BC bullets.

Chap Gleason

I see your point and will check them out. I did redo the old shotgun cleaning rod in a few minutes even counting tapping it for the 10-32 threads. Having two rods at the range works out good though for me. I got a CVA that the ram rod unscrews to make itself about 3 inched longer, a total piece of junk in my mind. I've got the equipment and materials available to make myself one, I like to tinker around in the shop so the money savings really dosen't come into play. Thanks for the link to rmssports
Old 03-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Chap Gleason

I see your point and will check them out. I did redo the old shotgun cleaning rod in a few minutes even counting tapping it for the 10-32 threads. Having two rods at the range works out good though for me. I got a CVA that the ram rod unscrews to make itself about 3 inched longer, a total piece of junk in my mind. I've got the equipment and materials available to make myself one, I like to tinker around in the shop so the money savings really dosen't come into play. Thanks for the link to rmssports
Your welcome. Here is the one I have. The are rock solid.

As for the term "cheap", I used that term to describe myself on these tree stands, which costs about $10 each to make and use:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/low_cost_tree_stands_for_hunting.htm

I like what Jesus did when he fed the 5000, he had a small boy pick up the left over pieces and fishes. Now why did Jesus do that? He just performed a miracle, why did he not just let the piece rot on the hill side? Why did he have them picked up? Because he want to teach us the parable of "waste not want not", which is what were were taught as children, but have forgotten in our disposable society. So bottom line I commend your wanting to be a "cheap" person, because you would be in Jesus's camp on that particular virtue.
In Christ, who was, who is and who is to come,
Chap Gleason Va
Old 03-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I am looking fora solid aluminum or brass rod now that I can make into my range rod. I insist that the rod be at least 32" long and have female ends on both ends so I can not only attach the jag of my choice but a T handle as well.

Cayugad, RMC Sports has the female on both end here, here is what they have > 32" long.

URL for RMC Sports is http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm. Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: Range Rods

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.