Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Rods

Old 03-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Range Rods

sjsfire

Is there any opinions on brass vs aluminum range rods?
For a range rod and to tell you the truth I really do not like either one of those. I totally prefer a fiber rod with a brass muzzle protecter.All three of my range rods have spinning hnadles which are nice but because they are so long and I do not always use the handle I have installedspin-jags on them. The spin-jag helps protect the crown on the way in, makes seating a bullet easier, and allows you to hold the rod itself as you a pushing down, yet the jag and bullet are rotating with the lands and grooves in the barrel.

In the field all of my guns have a hollow aluminum rod with a TC super jag intalled on the end.Never use these but only in the field hunting.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: sabotloader

sjsfire

The spin-jag helps protect the crown on the way in, makes seating a bullet easier, and allows you to hold the rod itself as you a pushing down, yet the jag and bullet are rotating with the lands and grooves in the barrel.
Where do you get the Spin-jag Sabotloader, er conicalLoader? Who makes them?Chap
Old 03-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chap

This is the one I prefer... loads all bullets without marking them...

They are expensive but I feel - How many of them will you buy in a lifetime? and they work well aligning the bullet to the bore and reduce pressure need to push the bullet down

www.spinjag.com

Old 03-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Chap

This is the one I prefer... loads all bullets without marking them...

They are expensive but I feel - How many of them will you buy in a lifetime? and they work well aligning the bullet to the bore and reduce pressure need to push the bullet down

www.spinjag.com

Mike,
Yes, I will order a couple right now, I like them they have the cleaning adapter and they are made for ShockWave type balistic bullets and they spin and it has the guide so the rod tip doesn't hit the sides of the rifling. Nowonder they are expensive. I can see why you like them. Like I said on another post, it is the "little things" that I learn on here that is so great. Thanks for posting the picture and the link. Chap
Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike, how well do those Spin Jags work for conicals?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

Purfic....specially wit dat soft lead noze - beddir dan waever Cdad is using.

The jag slides down over the nose a tad bit. It has really worked well for me... No short starter necessary...

Old 03-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

FYI on spinjags purchases.Not sure if Gunn still does Qty price discountsbut it would be worth an email or phone call to find out as they use to give breaks starting at min. Qty 6 spinjag ordered. They allowed mixing of the various spinjags just as long as the quantity met their discount level they gave you the appropriate break.

Good product and great company to deal with IME.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

My range rod for the last 7 or so years is the T/C pack rod. it comes in 4 pieces and is very rugged made of aluminum and coated with something. Not only is it portable but it has the two female ends so you can configure it how you want and make it longer or shorter depending what you need.

When this rod breaks I am going to buy one just like it again, I love it.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

I use a knight range rod. It is solid aluminum and 32 inches long. It has a large, and comfortable handle, on one end, and I put a Spin Jag on the other end. I have a tight Omega and this rod is plenty strong.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:30 PM

I have a TC rugged rod. When I want a range rod,I put on a T Handle made by TC and a jag on the other end. It works great for everything! In the woods, I use a slip over grip for the ramrod so I can slip it on when loading. That way I can put the ramrod on the gun still.

Those things might cost you 30 bucks but they will last forever.