Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

100 yard accuracy

Old 03-19-2007, 05:59 PM

Default RE: 100 yard accuracy

Yep, the trigger should help. It very well could help but you never know.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

outdoorslover, if I had a muzzleloader that wouldn't do better than a 6" group at 100 yards -it would not be mine long.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

Now you are making me feel bad, with my eyesI am looking for a 4" group @ a 100 with open sights and conicals... sabots maybe a little better...

Old 03-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Sabotloader, you get a break, we all know your eye sight is failing you with old age... Among other things.... ..
Old 03-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

HAY! watch it boy.... you young whipper snapper. There are still a lot of things Iken do...
Old 03-19-2007, 06:36 PM

I would highly doubt if it's always the gun that's the problem. The shooter is not perfect. MOST, not all, but most guns can always shoot excellent. It's almost always a shooters imperfections. Nobody can control all flinching, shaking, etc.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

If I had a muzzle loader or reg rifle and 6" was the best it would do it would be staying at home when I went to the woods.Depends on what you want to put into a muzzle loader or even a reg rifle as to what you get out of it.
I for one don't think any of these fellows are lying about their groups,for one reason I have shot a bunch of them and have seen what some of them can do.
Last year I helped a fellow set up his rem muzzie finally after a lot of shooting and several different powders and bullets I wittnessed him shooting a 3-shot one hole group.
Year before I helped 8 fellows set up their new savage muzzleloaders,before we got through,7 of the 8 shot a 3-shot one hole group.Watched one fellow put 7 in a row in one hole.So I know for fact that these fellows weren't lying about their groups.
A few days before muzzleloader season a young fellow came to the range said he wanted to try his muzzie before he went hunting,at 50 yds he was spraying bullets every where,He finally got a couple about 8 in from the bullseye,and said that was good enough.My shooting buddie told him to hold up and volunteered my help.before he left he shot a group about 3 in at 100 yds.
What I am trying to say is I hope there aren't many that settle for 6" groups when I think you can do a lot better with a little know how and enough practice.
I am getting ready to go to the range today soon as it gets daylight,won't be muzzleloaders today mostly varmit rifles.Plenty of all day fun too.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

You should be very happy with 5-6 inch groups at 100 yards.
Very few shooters can shoot 1 inch groups and very few do.
I diagree. Even a Model 94 .30/30 will generally shoot better that that. BUT, if you are talking about the shooter rather than the gun, then you have a point, IF we are talking about offhand shooting. Then anything inside of 12" @ 100 yards,shot offhand, is a good shot!

But let's not confuse matters here. How a shooter performs, and how a gun performs, are apples and oranges! I always remove as much of the HUMAN ERROR as I can when testing guns & loads!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

outdoorslover, if I had a muzzleloader that wouldn't do better than a 6" group at 100 yards -it would not be mine long.
I am with you on this UC. 3" groups arethe norm for most people with an occasion flyer or jerk or whatever, but when you get your rifle zeroed in I would say 3" is what your shooting for. 2" is excellent, the 1 inch stuff shown here is only at 50 yards for me or two shots groups at 100.

6" groups need some adjustment of load, bullet or rest. If your doing it all the time, I think you need some form of good rest. If your flinching all the time, get a Caudwell Lead Slead and then get your confidence build up. Nothing is more discouraging to have your rifle not grouping and you shoulder sore after shooting 20 or 30 shots.Get windage at 25 yards, and get it grouping there. Then move back to 50 and get it grouping at 50 2" high for most bullets. Then move back to 100 and shot your 3 shot groups.Much easier to adjust at 25 and 50 yards and if you can't group close, your not going to group at 100. Chap Gleason
Old 03-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

gleason.chapman

I am with you on this UC. 3" groups arethe norm for most people with an occasion flyer or jerk or whatever, but when you get your rifle zeroed in I would say 3" is what your shooting for. 2" is excellent, the 1 inch stuff shown here is only at 50 yards for me or two shots groups at 100.
Ok - UC and Chap... when you are talking about a 3" group @ 100 are you talking with open sights or a scope and with a ML. I can get 1.5/2" groups @100with about any inline and scope combination that I shoot. That is not a problem at all, but they all have scopes. Now on the other hand when I move to a sidelock with open sights, I wish I could say that I could consistently get that same at 100, but the truth is they do expand. I can, and I would like to say "easily" maintain a 4" group with several shots, but it really is not that easy it takes a lot of concentration for me.

I have always considered myself a decent shot, actually pretty lucky shot, but I could not honestly tell anyone with open sights off a portable bench and bags I could consistently get 3" groups, with a volume powder hunting load (not weighed)in the barrel. Now if I loaded down just for targets and the wind gods would stop all wind when I was shooting - then maybe...

There are just so many different forces acting upon a bullet that I really can not control @ 100 I feel really comfortable with a 4" group @ 100 with open sights on a ML. Gees even just how you breath or don't breath can make a difference, but the biggest factor still remains inconsistentx-winds and drafts especially on the slower conicals.

I guess I just ain't that good after all...

Shudup Cdad...

Quick Reply: 100 yard accuracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.