Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Dag-Nab-it

Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shooting Dag-Nab-it

Savagescouts post about shooting his White and the follow-up discussions, have given me a terrible itching to shoot the White this week end. But then I have to make the decisions as to what to shoot???? I hate to say this but for a moment "a fleeting moment" I even thought about shooting a conical from it... thank goodness the moment was only fleeting and has flown away.... I am waiting for a front ramp sight from Williams for the 50 cal Renegade soI can not finish my work with it - so it might just have to be theWhite with that really neatQuaking Aspen stock...That is what really makes it shoot so well.

What I really should do since I have found the bottom of the shop is build a recoil block into the Omega synthetic(or plastic as UC would call it)to reinforce the the shallow recoil cups in the stock.

Decisions...
Old 03-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting Dag-Nab-it

I just bought a new scope for my White. I ordered a Thompson Center 32mm 1X and I bought two sets of the Quick release Warne Maxima rings. So when that comes I want to sight that in as well. I shot this morning, and it was a good time. Accuracy was exceptional as usual. I decided I am not shooting at 50 yards anymore with the White and the Nikon Pro Sport. All you do is pound a large hole in the bulls eye. Perhaps with the 1X that will make a difference.

I was going to go with a Nikon 1X but it is a 20mm and this is a 32mm so it should do a little better on the light and area of view department. Besides, it was about $60.00 cheaper. And for waht I want to do with it during hunting season it should work just fine.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:09 AM

comicaloader,

I KNOW why you refuse to shoot conicals out of your White. YOU KNOW how well they are going to shoot and YOU don't want to admit it. There, I said it!
Old 03-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloader

I am not married to the big connicals, in fact stoped in at cabelas on the way to work.( sportsman, cabelas, white's factory and cal ranch are all on my way to work that works out pretty nice) Anyway I picked up some magtech bullets( lead flat nose 250 gr. .452)and some harvester not the crush rib sabots to try it will put me at about $26 per 100. I am married to being cheap its in my blood damn Irish blood If i can make do with what i have i will D-it. I am going to try these out tomorrow. ill let you all know how it goes.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

cayugad

I looked though bdeathers 1x scope it kind of looked like when you look through binoculars backwards. But if it is clear it has to be better than open sights.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

savagescout

some harvester not the crush rib sabots
Have you opened the sabots yet? The Harvesters are thin sabots equivalent to a HPH-24. If you can not find MMP's you will need to get Hornady sabots. The harvesters might work but they are going to be pretty loose. You will have better luck with the HPH-12's retaining pressure behind the sabot...

Where are you located?

mike
Old 03-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

I am in utah. good to know on the sabots have you used the knight high pressures? I knew the harvesters were a little looser than most, do you think they are as loose as the ones that come with the shockwaves (yellow sabots)? I did not open them yet I can take them back.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

savagescout

They, the Harvester's, should be tighter than the SW's, probably not a lot but some. The Knights if they are new ones will probably be MMP HPH-24's also the thin ones... Do they have any Hornady's those will be HPH-12's.

www.mmpsabots.com

Old 03-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why would you shoot Dag Nab-it?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

I will have to look the for the hornady sabots thanks sabotloader.Is theaccuracy not as good when they are not really tight?

Quick Reply: Shooting Dag-Nab-it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.