Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Dag-Nab-it

Old 03-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting Dag-Nab-it

cascadedad

There are priorities - I gotta git a couple of ATV's ready today - change oil and clean them up.... gotta wait fer the gras to dry - then I have to unpack the ATV trailer - I stored the Elk Racks on it dis winter Terry wanted dem out of her storage building... den eyes got 2 go under da hous and git a mower change da oil sharpen da blade - gas izt up and hope it won't start = all of dat befer I kin mow...

I wrote this in nuclear science language sose ued unerstan... or u ken git one of ur freinds in dat nuclear building u orkto interpretate for you...

Saturday the 24th, The schedule says Ash skates @ 10:30 and Reilyn skates @ 11:55, but you know schedules - have not figured out if we are staying over or not yet. I am bringing the truck over though, Ineed to bring the kids their ATV - so I would probaly have my shooting stuff with me...But i do have a couple of projects @ Rik's I need to get done - guess the water heater is not suppling all that much hot water....

OK - the backyard is mowed and mulched...and I didn't even start a 4-wheeler - Yet

Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Sabotloader - You've got all that done today and all I have even managed to do is have a third cup of coffee and shoot a .54 caliber Renegade on the range. I'm just about done cleaning that rifle (letting it cool before I do final assembly) and then I suppose I wil betaking a couple other rifles out this afternoon.

I need to get my ATV out also and get it running again, then start cuttng firewood soon. That usually takes a lot of my time.. My lawn is still covered in snow, so the grass can wait. In fact there is a three foot drift in front of the rider, and the small trim mower still.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

My lawn is still covered in snow, so the grass can wait.
Sorry about that it is beautiful here... there are some patches of snow around the 4000 ft level on Moscow Mt. I can see from my back yard. but I am looking at the southern exposure... I need to get to about 5000 ft. on Monday and Wednesday - so I am hoping we do not hit to much snow...

Oh! just bought another Ren 50 barrel - this is suppose to have never been fired - we'll see...??? - all of this because of a pitted 54 ca barrel I couldn't give away....

Old 03-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

This afternoon, I took my Wolverine LK-II which is a #11 ignition and a 22 inch barrel. I wanted to try some different powders. I started out shooting at the center bull. I was shoot 100 grains Pyrodex RS and a 375 gr Buffalo SSB sabot. The first clean barrel shot did not surprise me as this rifle always does that. I then started to see a pattern that I never realized. When I swabbed, it shot dead center, when I would load on an unswabbed barrel the rifle had a different POI.

This tells me with the Pyrodex, if I am willing to swab between shots the accuracy is excellent.

I then cleaned the barrel with Birchwood Casey #77 and loaded with 100 gr Goex 2f and swabbed between shots. The accuracy was excellent.

I then swabbed and loaded with Goex 3f but did not swab. Again the size of the group opened up.

The last thing I shot was some American Pioneer Powder in 3f. This is the powder that claims you do not have to swab. Well the group started pretty good on a swabbed barrel and just got worse from there.

I like the all lead 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB and they seem to shoot real well. Out of the 22 inch barrel which is my tree rifle, I have little doubt that I could get the job done.

I'm glad you're buying more and more rifles and barrels. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that someone is more hooked by this sport them me..

Old 03-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Quality shooting - I suppose you did that today... I have been stuggling around here doing chores and your shooting....

Over on modern ML there is a guy asking about shooting a Knight short barrel and what he might shoot - might jump over and show him this target...

Somewhere on this forum the other day I wrote a whole big thing why I swab after every shot... never even touched the topic about accuracy.

Everybody is so concerned about how many shots they can get off before swabbing - I know I could if I needed to but if the need is not there I swab after every shot all the time... I know you pre-make your patches as I do before shooting it is really easy to pick a patch and run the rod...

I am tempted just to go out in the back yard and shoot a few caps.. just to ckeck my trigger finger...

Old 03-17-2007, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I shot this morning and it was so much fun that I took the Wolverine out this afternoon. But I want you to know I thought of you right before pulling the trigger. It was the least I could do for a hard working home body such as yourself. And I did see his post which is why I took the Wolverine with the 22 inch barrel out. I did post over there and I hope it helps him. 100 grains of powder and that big 375 grain all lead bullet really rattled the bullet trap today.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Well my day shooting did not go to well I started late and did not have much time. And my pic won't load.

SL
I tried some knight sabots and the 250gr. lead flatpoints from mag tech very disapointing I could not get them to group well the great plains came through again and shoot well, and I changed my front sight and got thatworked out. I can not get the pic of my target to loadof the 250gr. The knights sabots loaded well, tight but not at all bad. Am pretty happy with the sabots. I think I want to try some RS powder and some 300 gr. xtps I have shot them in this gun at 50yrds and they did well. I shoot the GP at 80 yards and they shoot about 1 and1/2" group I think they would have done ever better if I could have let my barrel cool more. I used the musket caps today withno issues.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

savagescout

Good enough if those Knight sabots are somewhat tight they probably are 12's - you just never know because now that Knight owns Green Mountain and their barrels are usually right around .501, I was afraid that they might be HPH-24's so they would fit the GM barrels. The older Knights had a bigger bore and would use the Hornady/HPH-12 sabot.

If you are going to use an all lead, I guess I would just go to Bullshop Conical.

What powder were you using today and how much?

gosh all you guys that got to shoot today... well......

Ok I get off... but I did get a lot of yard work done...
Old 03-17-2007, 08:23 PM

You were not alone today Mike, you were not alone!!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

SL
I was shooting pyro p at 100grs. and i tried 110 and accuracy got worse I guess I could try to go less. bdeather thinks 80grs. might work. I am thinking that the bullshops are my best bet. I have about 90 more bullets in the 460 .504 Now some people are ordering these bullets at .5045 is that right? I may want to try some.

I only have this one mzle loader right now and i like the idea of using a sabot lighter bullet on deer and the heavy connicals on elk. I think that is something I just need to stop thinking about and start practicing with the bullshops, so I can hit something at 100yrds and further. ( I can hit a big target at 100 but off hand and real hunting situations need some work.)

SL
Did you say that someone on HNet was using 100gr. and the 460 gr. bullshops?

What are all of you shooting with the big connicals anyway?

The reason i shoot the pyro p is doc white said it's good and it is cheap. I would like to try some RS too.

Quick Reply: Shooting Dag-Nab-it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.