Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

copper fouling?...........................Oh wait I have a brass range rod.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default copper fouling?...........................Oh wait I have a brass range rod.

I shot my white ultra mag today i had some bullshops great plains and white bullets in .460 and some shockwaves in 250gr. I am not a fan of loading the GP but they shot pretty well. The white bullets did not shoot well at all at 50 yards I was shooting about a 3" group. the bullshops shot the best about 1/2" group at 50 yrds. and 4" group at 100 yrds the shooters fault of course Im shooting with the peep sights. I could not get the rear sight high enough for elevation, so it was aguess where to hold at 100yrds. I found a front sight in my collection that will be low enough, so ill try that next time. I shot a couple weeks ago with bdeather and I was shooting a red dot scope and it was really hard to see, it was really sunny that day. the peep sight is more to my liking. I took some pics ill throw them on here tomorrow. the shock waves loaded very easy and shoot awful. I am new to this muzzle loading stuff and I took my 30/06 with a 3x9 and it felt like cheating a 100 yards, after shooting the first part of the day with peep sights.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: copper fouling?...........................Oh wait I have a brass range rod.

savagescout

The Shockwaves will probably not shoot well from an Ultra Mag, your bore is .504 and those were bulit for a TC bore of right at .500. Believe me your UMag will shoot the 250 but you will have to go to a Hornady SST with the thicker sabot to get it done. The SW's come with a HPH-24 sabot or a yellow superglide sabot and they are to thin... You will need toget some HPH-12 sabots for the UMag...

The front sight on a UMag will usually work when shooting sabots because they can be shot significantly flatter than conicals. Most people have changed the front sight to shoot the heavier conicals.

When you get conicals you will need to get .504 or .5045 sized conicals to get the proper fit also. If you purchase TC or even NE's they might fall righ to the bottom of the bore.

What powder and what load were you shooting???

For saboted bullets from 200 grain to 300 grain I shoot 110 grains of T7-2f and get outstanding accuracy.

UC, Cayugad, and Cdad, will have to discuss loads for conicals from Whites, but i do know that Cdad talks about shooting 100 grain loads with the 460 Bullshops...

The UMag is a great gun you will really like it when everything comes together...

Here is a 120 yard target with my UMag - it was one of my very first, but mine is scoped...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: copper fouling?...........................Oh wait I have a brass range rod.

I was shooting pyrodex P 70 gr. and 75 gr. with the connicals and 95 with the SW's. I did use the yellow sabots SW. I forgot to mention I shoot some powerbelts also in .405 leadand they did ok better than the white bullets.I started shooting a boulder with the GP's it took about 3 shoots to crack that egg. I was about 2x the size of a basket ball pretty cool. The bullshpsi was shooting were sized at 504 and they seem about perfect. Sbtloder you are the devil for bdeather he wants to try some of the 200 gr. xtps in his white. You showed some impressive numbers on your strychnine post pretty cool.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

savagescout

I forgot to mention that I do damp swab after each shot, and my reasoning for that is- that will be the condition of my bore in a real hunting situation. Most people shooting conicals from their Whites are not doing that - no need to and that might have some effect on accuracy also.

I know, I know, I have been in those rock crushing modes every once in awhile myself. At the Styrchnine sight there are lot of stumps from Potlatch logging. I like to put up a 6" to 10" rock on the top of the stumps and then pick themoff and watch or see the dust ball come up when you hit one and shatter it. I often get tired of shooting paper.

Suggestion do not by the 200 grain SST's to much $ to waste on paper, get a box of Hornady 200 grain XTP's and a package of MMP HPH-12's and shoot them they are a real blast. I am going to shoot some ground squirrels with that combination this spring out in the Vassar Meadow country.

Cdadwith whom I shoot a lot with used .504 Bullshops but did opt up to the .5045's, when I watched him load .504's the weight of the ram rod would push the bullet down and i always worried about the bullet coming off the load while hunting, but again that was with a fairly clean barrel.

What size BullShops were you shooting? I am also surprised that the White conicals did not shoot that well for you - I have never shot mine they are still in the tubes around here someplace.

Well gotta go - hope you get better groups in the future... (I know you will... but now that you got me thinking about the White - I might have to shoot that this weekend.. dang....)
Old 03-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I get the excellent results in my White UM with the BullShop .5040 diameter in 450 or 500 grain. I actually like the 500 grain a little better. I usually load 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and no wad. The accuracy is outstanding. Like described, the weight of the range rod will normally almost seat the conical. All but the last inch or two. I have to press that into the fowling down there.

Another good shooting load is a .458 orange knight sabot with my home casted 423 gr pure lead flat point. They are said to be a 405 gr flat point but I have never got one to weigh that yet. I was shooting these with 100 grains of powder and the down range thump was outstanding. It shook the plates right out of the steel bullet trap. Hate to think what it would do to a deer.

I also have shot the 200 gr XTP (all sabotloaders fault as I was happy with conicals until he kept rubbing sabots in my face) and like Sabotloader said, they shoot great. Downrange they seem to have a lot of power as well.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:37 AM

savagescout
Did I miss something? Based on the title, I expected to see something about copper or brass or something.

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

I forgot to mention that I do damp swab after each shot, and my reasoning for that is- that will be the condition of my bore in a real hunting situation.
The two or three times I shot sabots in my White, I HAD to swab between shots. If not, accuracy went south real fast.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

savagescout

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

I forgot to mention that I do damp swab after each shot, and my reasoning for that is- that will be the condition of my bore in a real hunting situation.[/blockquote]
Since Cdadbrought this up again I guessI would like to explain a bit if I can make it make sense????

With the White I can shoot several sabots in a row without swabbing if necessary. The reason I swab is, during hunting season I might load the gun on Sunday hunt with it all week and I might shoot it on the next Sunday or even the next Sunday after that, just hard telling. But all that time I am hunting I do not want to worry about powder residue from previous shots in the barrel doing any kind of damage to the barrel, hence I do somewhat clean the barrel after each shot because that is the way it will be during hunting season. The other thing I do to protect the barrel, which is also a no-no - I know, but I do put a very,very, verylight coat of bore oil back in the barrel. I feel this way the barrel is protected even in lousy damp weather. I have never had this affect hunting accuracy at all.

At the beginning of the season (October) I will shoot the gun 3-5 times to check the accuracy swab the barrel with windex a couple of patches dry the barrel and it will not get stripped cleaned until the end of the season unless I do something drastic like drop it in a creek or slip and fall and lose it in the mud. Of course the exterior is wiped down every day. In December it will get the strip down.

All of this is my way not the best suggested way by most.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Here is the set up I really like the look of this gun.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

This is the first shot at 25 yrds

Old 03-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Here is the second at 25 this is with 70 gr pyr P powder and a great plains in 460.

Quick Reply: copper fouling?...........................Oh wait I have a brass range rod.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.