Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

400 Grain Bull Shop's - Strychnine Gravel

Old 03-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 400 Grain Bull Shop's - Strychnine Gravel

Cdad

I had no control the "Devil" made me doit....
Old 03-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader - those velocity readings are curious. Wasn't it the NE conicals that wereleaving lead inyour barrel? Are they more difficult to load than the Bull Shops? I wonder if the NE 460's are building pressure differently than the 400's, getting higher values than would be expected. Not that there's anything wrong with that if the accuracy is there. I think you should back up to 100 yds. with 80 fff and try those two bullets again to check the relative POI. Please?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

those velocity readings are curious. Wasn't it the NE conicals that wereleaving lead inyour barrel? Are they more difficult to load than the Bull Shops? I wonder if the NE 460's are building pressure differently than the 400's, getting higher values than would be expected. Not that there's anything wrong with that if the accuracy is there. I think you should back up to 100 yds. with 80 fff and try those two bullets again to check the relative POI. Please?
I felt the same way about the velocities, and you can be sure I am going to shoot them again...

The 400 BS were sized @ .504 and were tighter going down than the .503 NE's, if anything I should have built greater pressure with the .504's. On Wednesday when I shot both .503 NE's and .504 BS 460 grain bullets the velocity was basically the same right @ 1450 fps.

My only theory is that the 400's are getting out of the barrel quicker and actually building less pressure, not allowing a complete powder burn. You can see with shooting 3f powder, which burns faster,producesa greater velocity in this short Renegade barrel.

I do plan to shoot the 400 again next week and verify velocites and accuracy @ 100 and beyond. Actually I want to shoot the two (400 & 460) side by side and compare them that way on two adjacent targets.
But, before I can do that I gotta to get a new front sight so I can get the bullets to come down on the target. Like Cdad accuses me of I am cheap so I used a rear fiber optic from another gun in this Renegade and it will not go low enough - so I'll change the front fiber optic because it is cheaper to change the rear... Williams makes a great .550 front ramp site for an octagon barrel I am ordering today. So hopefully the first of next week I'll get to shoot it again.

If I can get a chance though I could take theGM/Renegade out and use it to do this expirement also, but that would be a long barrel.

Sides - I need to use Cdad's 400's before he wants them back...
Old 03-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you'll have more to report.

Did you succeed in getting another barrel for the Renegade?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

Did you succeed in getting another barrel for the Renegade?
No, I decided to bite my ego and just use the one I have it shoots great. If I stumble across an excellent one them maybe... the ones I have seen on e-bay lately did not do anything for me...

Old 03-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

I just want to know who washed who's truck???
Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: goatbrother

I just want to know who washed who's truck???
I was wondering the same thing but hated to ask.. Thanks goatbrother.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 PM

When I left, his truck was still dirty. I suspect it will still be dirty the next time I see it also.

Here is the truth, the absolute truth.

I got out of town later than I had hoped. It was no fault of mine and it was not a plan of mine to get there late so there would not be an opportunity to shoot. Really it wasn't. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive there and I think we got there around 4:00. I begged Mike to take us shooting so we could have our competition, but he said it would be too late by the time we got to the shooting spot.It was my guess that he was a little frightened and was using the time as an excuse. I didn't call him on it, because we didn't have any backup hotel reservations.

OK, those are the facts, the way I remember them anyway. After all, it was 4 days ago, so I might not be remembering things just right. Anyway, he can not run forever!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cdad

Here is the truth, the absolute truth.
Well!!! not exactly...

When I left, his truck was still dirty.
True

I suspect it will still be dirty the next time I see it also.
Maybe...

I got out of town later than I had hoped. It was no fault of mine and it was not a plan of mine to get there late so there would not be an opportunity to shoot. Really it wasn't. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive there and I think we got there around 4:00.
True

I begged Mike to take us shooting so we could have our competition,
Agh hum!!!

It was my guess that he was a little frightened and was using the time as an excuse.
I am not that competitive - I have matured with age - those little things do not bother me anymore...

Payback may occur on the weekend of the 24th - Ice skating competition in Kennewick that weekend...

Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 PM

Maybe we can shoot some of those DWB snowmen that weekend.

Quick Reply: 400 Grain Bull Shop's - Strychnine Gravel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.