Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is this really muzzleloading?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:04 PM

Default RE: Is this really muzzleloading?

very true redlion, the savage is a very versatile mler. I guess i personally would just have to see one and shoulder one before i could really make a fair judgement on it.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this really muzzleloading?

ORIGINAL: yeoman

And if a guy wants to lobby his representatives to change the regs. to preserve or enhance what he sees as a better hunting experience, I'm not inclined to say he's "cheating" others. I believe we do share a common ground. It's just that some believe "uniting all hunters" (my quotes) in a common bond will better preserve the hunting heritage while others question whether a woods full of hunters is a heritage worth preserving.

The common ground is we all love to hunt, and, what we fail to "see" is that, we're all afraid.
yoeman,

You are a wise person and bring up some good points. I would like to just add to your comments. It is importantWHAT we say to the next generation, and, it is importantTHAT we say it. First we must provide the opportunity and the invitation to them. And if they, like us, fall in love with the outdoors and participating in the annual harvest (which they likely will), we must lead them by example in the preservation of hunting traditions.

If anarchy causes political change, we as hunters have challenges, seriouschallenges to passing on hunting heritage to future generations. As we probably already are a minority of the population, it would be nice to know that some unjust majority can not threatenour rights of firearm ownership andaccess to the license of hunting.

I think our future can be brightened by more involvement. Of late, traditional muzzleloader organizations and their members have come under alot of criticism here at this forum. I deeply disagree, not only with the comments about them, I also disagree with the comments about the wildlife agencies. The Colorado State Muzzleloading Association is an assemby of great folks who set a great example of whatevery hunter could and should do to preserve their hunting rights.

Should you ask a member what they are about, they won't tell you that they are about getting rid of inlines in the ML season. They are about preserving and passing on a heritage that enjoy and believe is worth passing on. They organize for more than just this though. There are regional wildlife directors(within CSMA) who help to organize members to the benefit of the Division of Wildlife as volunteers. They organize rendezvous not just for their own enjoyment but also to present a positive public image. Lobbying to preserve their historical access to the ML season is but one thing of many they do.

In the greater context of what we all, "as united hunters", can do to ensure hunting traditions, they are setting an example which is worth following.They areso passionateabout the traditions they desire to be preserved, that they "do something" and generously give their time and effort. They would never consider marching on the capitol in a demonstration or threaten politicians in order to achieve their goals. They are far more sophisticated than that and win hearts by being good citizens. I admire them individually and as an organization.

If all hunters were this dedicated, we would never have to worry about whether our great-grandchildren would be able to enjoy hunting traditions.