Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is this really muzzleloading?

Old 03-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Default RE: Is this really muzzleloading?

....but if you want to use it then go for it. I won't bash you, just your ML. [8D]
Old 03-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

It is still not a single shot modern rifle in my book. The accuracy will come with the kind of barrel, how well it is made, how it handles loads, and optics. The only real advantage the rifle offers over any other standard inline rifle is the electronic ignition (whether that is an advantage or not). It should be a more standard ignition and one less thing to worry about that might influence the shot. To be honest I would love to shoot one, but not really interested in buying one. I just like new ideas is all.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:17 PM

how is it an accident waiting to happen? Arnt all firearms accidents waiting to happen in the Wrong hands?
Old 03-12-2007, 03:07 PM

Of course all firearms can be dangerous, but I too question the safety
of this particular gun. Aside from the basics of gun safety that we should
always watch where the muzzle of the gun is pointed... This gun would
scare me a little. I know with a centerfire that an unloaded gun is safer
than a loaded one and pulling the bolt or uncocking etc. makes it safer
yet. With a ML, you wouldn't put in the cap until you are ready to fire.
I have not seen one of these guns, but it would seem that once you
put down the powder and bullet, it's ready to shoot. I am sure there is
a safety or something, but still. There wouldn't seem to be the other
fail safes that other weapons have. I'm with Cayugad. I think it would
be fun to shoot one, but I wouldn't buy one.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Safety needn't be an issue. Probably designed so it can't fire with bolt open. Can't fire with safety on. Can't fire until x - lbs. of trigger pull etc...

Just another attempt to reduce one of the "hassles" of MZ, occasional no or slow ignition. I kind of look at the "ignitionally challenged" aspect of muzzleloading as one of its desireable aspects. The one that gets away was meant to get away.

.......but then, I hunt with a recurve.

I actually sent that link to our DNR when this came up months ago, wondering if it would be legal on MD. No reply. Guessing they don't know for sure.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: yeoman

Safety needn't be an issue. Probably designed so it can't fire with bolt open. Can't fire with safety on. Can't fire until x - lbs. of trigger pull etc...

Just another attempt to reduce one of the "hassles" of MZ, occasional no or slow ignition. I kind of look at the "ignitionally challenged" aspect of muzzleloading as one of its desireable aspects. The one that gets away was meant to get away.

.......but then, I hunt with a recurve.

I actually sent that link to our DNR when this came up months ago, wondering if it would be legal on MD. No reply. Guessing they don't know for sure.
Precisely what I was thinking when I started this. You got to love those hang fires and the ones that dont always go off.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:03 PM

ORIGINAL: roundball

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

ORIGINAL: roundball

Modern inlines today are already matching/exceeding some centerfire ballistics, yet centerfireshave always been prohibited from muzzleloader seasons for reasons obvious to every 12 year old in the country.
This electronic ignition variation of a modern high tech "MUZZLELOADER" is just the next in a long line of attempts to make deer hunting easy for "arm chair hunters" who have not or will not spend the time learning the craft of real muzzleloading and deer hunting.

Opinions were asked for, the aboveis justmy personal opinion...others may vary of course.
Same old sick, tired and lame arguement. That's my opinion.
And you just keep making the same old sick, tired, and lame mistakes by attacking others who happen to have an opinion different from yours.

The poster asked for opinions on his question, not"your opinion about my opinion"...so your response to menot only fails to address the poster's question,it wastes a lot ofgood bandwidth, andmakes no difference to me personally whatsoever.

People either have legitimate logic for their positions or they don't.
Those whodon'tresort to attacking those who do.
OK, here is my answer to the original question.Is this really muzzleloading?

Answer: There is NO CORRECT ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION.

I have my opinion and everyone else has their opinion, but bottom line, there is no right or wrong.

Personally, I would never use the gun that is in question, but I don't care if someone else does. It makes no difference to me.

Here is some LOGIC of mine. I live in the west and where I hunt is wide open land. Most of the time deer are spotted at several hundred yards away. They are in range of a capable shooter with a magnum centerfire rifle. They are NOT in range of any MLer; inline, scoped or any other way for that matter. A stalk must be put on to get within range.

I shoot a White inline with peep sights. My range for shooting a deer is limited to <125-130 yards. At those distances over 100 yards, I feel that the conditions need to be perfect with deer standing still which will allow me time to use a rangefinder to make absolutely sure of the distance. With a scope, I would probably feel comfortable with a slightly longer shot than that, but not much more.

In centerfire season, I would venture to say that a huge portion of hunters here use guns that are fully capable of taking a deer at 300-400 yards and more. Not too many chose a 30-30, but they certainly can if they chose. I know sabotloader is gearing up for a 30-30 hunt with his buddy this next year. It is his CHOICE. Will he be at a handicap as compared to others? Certainly, but that is his choice. But your arguement..................
Modern inlines today are already matching/exceeding some centerfire ballistics,
to me is lame. Sabotloader has just started shooting conicals out of his
Renegade using open sights. Even with his old, tired eyes and his limited shooting ability, he is shooting pretty darn good.

I have never hunted in the east, but from what I have read, many if not most shots are <100 yards. In this case, someone might very well use a 30-30 andwould not be at any real disadvantage. For that matter,the MODERN INLINES would have littleadvantage if any at all over a traditional rifle.

As I stated in the beginning. There is no right or wrong. The states set their regulations how they see fit. HOPEFULLY, they are managing the wildlife. Recently, I have read all the traditionalists applauding Idaho for "Doing the right thing". Based on the numbers I have seen, I have drawn the conclusion in my mind that the new regs in Idaho will do very little for the mule deer that were supposedly the driving force of these new rules. Unless, someone can show some other statistics, I won't change my mind. If I am right, the state of Idaho has "Done the wrong thing". They have completely wasted the taxpayer's money and done nothing to solve the mule deer problem.

These are my opinions.

Mike, please don't tell Terry I am stirring "IT" up again. She might think less of me.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: yeoman

"ignitionally challenged"
Oh boy a new word / phrasefor English Lexicon. lol
Old 03-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its not for me. BUT, if somebody out there wants to drop the cash on one of these experimental to the public rifles, then so be it. (Because thats really what they are arent they)? I live in a state where its flintlock or #11 only, and I actually love the fact that its that way.It affords the guy who muzzleloader hunts an extra long season and an opportunity to hunt without all of the nutzoes toting the magnum cannons. But to me, the electronic ignition inline is not what muzzleloader season only is all about.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Time will tell if it's gonna succeed. I'd put a hundred bucks says it won't. Anyone up?????

If you wanna try it, go ahead.

Quick Reply: Is this really muzzleloading?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.