Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New rifle came in today

Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 PM

Default New rifle came in today

Boy oh boy i got my hands full on this one lol. I figured, yeah cool, just sand the stock smooth, stain it, throw on some Boiled linseed oil and start shooting. Holy cow was a i wrong! I have to carve, shave, sand, file this stock into shape, i have to do some inletting in the lock area. But other than that, this really turned out to be a great looking kit. I already antiqued the barrel and am expecting it to age really well the next couple weeks. Best thing about it,Hardly any brass, only the patch box and barrel wedges are brass, everything else is raw metal, which i will also antique. Just finished fitting the nose cap and am working on the Tang then i will start on inletting the lock so it fits. One down fall was the nipple that was in the kit was the wrong one but luckily i had a spare that fit. The stock is a beautiful piece of wood with what i guess you could call " cat eye specks through out the stock. This should look great with my dark stain and BLSO finish.

I will need all of your guys/girls help and info with shaping the cheek piece, ive never done anything like this so im begging for help on this part of the stock.

One i get the tang and lock fitted i'll be moving onto the trigger guard/ trigger area and open those up. The rifle has double set triggers and a really nice looking trigger guard. But im going to need a lot of help and info on how to shape the cheek piece, any help with that area would be greatly appreciated.

Rifle is a Deer Creek .45 with 32" barrel. I have no clue what the name of the rifle model it is.
Thanks for any help that comes along.
Jon

Old 03-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New rifle came in today

Guess I know what you'll be doing for the next few weeks. Have fun with it.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

That stock needs some serious love.I see a bit of wood work ahead. Nice kit the GPR looks great.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 PM

No its not a GPR. This is made by Deercreek. I have no clue what model it is but its coming together nicely.

Fitted the nose cap.
Underbarrel wedge pin lugs.
Bleached barrel and put on front sight " Silver"
Inletted the Lock, trigger, trigger guard. Hair trigger on this baby!
And right now i am getting ready to stain my ramrod so i can see how i like the color.

As much as i want to shoot this rifle, i gotta just sit on my hands and take my time until its ready. I havnt shot a .45 muzzleloader since my first cva blazer inline. I should be using this one this hunting season if it comes out good and performs well. Has a 110 grain max load and says to drop the charge 20% when shooting conicals.
I have a crap load of Roundballs so i'll be using those first.

After this is done you can see one problem i have... 2 more rifles in the closet and only a 2 gun Gunrack lol. Time to start buying or build a couple more.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Dominant Buck

That has some beautiful wood ... it reminds me of the old CVA Hawkins rifles back in the 80's. They had nice wood and were good shooters. That will really turn out nice.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

I want one!!! Does anyone sell a kit that has a rifle and a revolver/pistol so you can build them both?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks great! When you finish this one, you need to go to Track of the Wolf, and get a nice longrifle or Jaeger flintlock kit to build!!
Old 03-10-2007, 11:14 AM

I got a question. ive been working with my ramrod since lastnight and cannot figure why the heck it fits so tight. Once its in all the way, you can barely pull it back out. I did some filing inside the ramrod hole, cleaned up the ramps that it slides over and its still tight. Im going to try one more thing, and thats screwing in the brass wedge pin "cases" and see if that will help any. Any ideas if this doesnt work?

I found out that this kit was modeled after the big bore Mountain rifle. Also fixed the ramrod, i had to take some wood out in the ramrod hole channel and it works fine now. So i guess i'll just call it a mountain rifle.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:33 PM

Just some more pics. I didnt do really that much on it today due to the weather but i did some work in the ramrod channel, drilled the holes for the brass wedge pin seats, Hand rubbed Boiled linseed oil into the ramrod " turned out beautiful and smooth" Pretty much just a clean up day for all the fittings and such. Tomorrow hopefully i can drill the holes for the nose cap and fit the butt pad. And if i have the time, pull the lock apart and bleach that too. I got the front sight on today and i really like the design and the way it comes to my eye, its clear and the front sight isnt to thick. Should be interesting to shoot it and see how much of the sight i will have to file down.
I've alreadt started to sand a certain lines into it but without the stain and boiled linseen finish on it, it cant be seen in these pictures. As for the cheek piece, im going to look through some of my books and see if i can find any pics of the hawken/kentucky rifles and see how they shaped theirs. Heres the ramrod and the color the rifle will be. Take note to all that fun carving/sanding i will be doing for a few weeks [&:].

Old 03-11-2007, 03:55 AM
Typical Buck

LMF BROWNING CHEMICAL FOR THE METAL???

Quick Reply: New rifle came in today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.