Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New rifle came in today

Old 03-11-2007, 01:13 PM

Default RE: New rifle came in today

Im not sure if i want to brown everything. I already bleached the barrel and everything else and was going to go with that but its going to be left this way untill the stock is finished and then i can decide what color of barrel and accessories to go with.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Have you given any thought on how dark you want the stock and what method you are going to use to finish it? It really does look like a nice piece of wood. The more I look at that the more I like it. Was there a lot of sanding needed to make the lock and barrel fit?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Have you given any thought on how dark you want the stock and what method you are going to use to finish it? It really does look like a nice piece of wood. The more I look at that the more I like it. Was there a lot of sanding needed to make the lock and barrel fit?
Barrel dropped right into place but i did some sanding with 2000 grit to make it smooth. The lock actually was darn near done except they make you file the point into the lock area so the lock drops into place. I stained the ramrod with Dark walnut and am going to go with it, I did a small part of the stock and then the inside of the barrel channel and its going to look good on this wood. Im going to do hand rubbed boiled linseed oil finish and probably around 30-40 coats of it. But im just going to bleach all the trimming for now and once i get the stock finished and stained, i will then decide if i want to brown everything or keep it bleached " Antiqued" Just finished drilling the holes for the nosecap and patch box and got all that stuff in place, Now im looking at the rear plate and see how i should place that on.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Heres some more pics of the wood. Theres this one strip of .. i guess you could call it "curl" that starts at the back of the long and runs all the way to the rear of the nose cap, thats going to jump out with the stain and finish on it. Theres also this same pattern that starts at the rear of the cheek piece and runs all the way to the rear of the Tang on the upper top of the stock. On the stock, theres also all these dots and specks through out the entire stock, front and rear, bottom to top.

Got the rear plate figured out and may drill it soon and start carving. I'll need to trim metal off the plate to get a solid fit.

And this is all the metal on the right side that i will have to file off and repolish. Its not really that much but with handtools, this whats going to take a while.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:17 PM

Got the nose area all filed down, sand down and finished it off with many strokes of 2000 grit sandpaper. This is with 2 coats of stain, im going for 6 coats to get it as dark as possible. Would buffing with 0000 steel wool between dried coats be a good idea? Im pretty much seat on leaving the barrel bleached, i really like the look of it with this dark stain. The color along with the boiled linseed oil finish should really look well on the stock. Gawd i cant wait to shoot it! I also left just enough material incase years down the road i want to resand it and finish it. I'd rather leave enough for one more redo than end up with the metal trimmings standing above the wood.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I wanted to ask you what site did you purchase that off of, and what model rifle is that? I also wondered if it came in flintlock?

thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 08:42 PM

I traded for it off the Muzzleloading form. The rifle is based off the Big Bore Mountain rifle. I would love to look at deer creeks website but damn if i can find one. No clue if it ever came in flintlock but if it did, that would make one sweet looking rifle.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Dominant Buck

I think they now sell through Thunder Ridge. But I don't remember then having any kits. CVA used to sell kits though Deer Creek but nothing of that kind of quality as I remember.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:54 PM

i was just looking at the cva mountain rifle and i though it was the same untill i noticed the lock, triggers, trigger guard and rear sight placement. This rifle was way different. The possibles shop has the cva mountain rifle.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:06 PM

Few more pics.

I fitted the rear butt plate and shaped the patch box side, still have to sand a lot to get the area smooth. The line im also trying to sand out is coming out but very slow. Once i finish up this side i'll move on and finish the cheek piece side, should be fun.
I stopped at 4 coats of stain, i used 2000 grit sand paper between each dry coat and stopped when i got the color i wanted. Topped it off with its first coat of boiled linseed oil and let it sit in the warm sun all day and then hand rubbed it more. Came out nice with one coat, but needs many many more. Im thinking i should be done with it this weekend.

Quick Reply: New rifle came in today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.